Tiny air bubbles from return pumps

mojuave

Reefing newb
I have air bubbles coming from my return pumps. A lot and I mean a lot filling the display tank and covering everything. Looks like particle throughout the water. Cant find anywhere with info to stop it. If I only run one pump I'm fine

I am not sure how the pumps are plumbed in wether they run seperatley back to the display or plumbed together running one line back.. But you are sucking in air from somewhere either the overflow isnt keeping up and drawing in air, or the water is getting to low in the sump when you turn on the second pump, or there is a pin hole in the second pumps plumbing drawing in air..

It's not one pump verses the other its only when both are going and creating the mass water movement. When the water is pumping too fast back to display tank this happens. The sump is 45 gallons and about 85% full. Even in the return in sump you can see mass amounts of air bubbles being injected. As far as plumbing both pumps on either side of tank and feeds separate return lines to display in addition to separate feed lines to sump. 3/4 line on pumps and 1 inch lines on for sump feed

do both lines from the overflows dump into the sump in the same place? and do you have baffles setup in the sump? I had a similar problem with mine.. I am running about 2200 gph through my sump. I have baffles setup down at the return pump but also had to setup a baffle where the overflows dump into the tank because of the extreme flow into it.. I also had to put a elbow then a t at the spot it enters the sump with a piece of piping that comes up from the t about 3 to 4 inches above the water line to absorb some of the microbubbles, the other end of the t drops a pipe down to about 2 inch from the bottom of the sump...

They don't dump in same place. I do not have baffles setup. The sump return piping comes off the bottom of display tank 45 over then 45 again then straight into tank about 4 inches from bottom. In the overflow box the pipe comes up to about 4 inches from surface water with a cap that's drilled. Below that cap is a T with a 3/4 45 jammed in it pointing down where the water enters the pipe. No baffle in there either.

mag00311.jpg

you are going to have to put some baffles in the 45 to control the bubbles.. where the pipes enter the 45 one baffle off the bottom but above the waterline second baffle against the bottom and below the waterline then a third baffle again above the waterline but just up off the bottom.. that shoiuld help control the microbubbles for you .. now that I see the picture if it was me I would put the pumps on the same side of the 45 and the two pipes from the main to the sump on the same side then put the baffles in... this way the pumps go in the end chamber you are creating so you know when to add water as it evaporates..

Last edited:
also you can then throw your skimmer in the side where the waterflows into the sump. along with your heaters..

So just to make sure I understand because I had to read that a few times. Both sump returns at one end and with your description the water that flows into the sump will flow under the first baffle over the next then under the last where it is returned to display? Does the live rock placement matter? I'm sorry for all the questions

yes that is exactly how the baffles would go, under the first over the second under the third.. the microbuubles which are light will tend to stay at the top of the water at the first baffle any remainder will hopefully get trapped by the last baffle.. any liverock thrown in wont matter where it is placed but you will want to have room for the skimmer and heaters or such in the sump so they dont have to be seen in the display tank.. yes pumps on one end of the sump and outlets from the display to the sump on the other end.. :D

once you have all that together you will be able to see how much water you have to add per day just by marking the level in the pump chamber when you start up your pumps then as it evaporates daily you will see how much you need to add to get back up to the mark you made when you started things up.. for an example I lose from 3 to 5 gallons a day in my 150..

Back