Tips for beginners

TIP: Don't keep moving your rock around in your tank. Leave things be.
TIP: Patience. add to your tank slowly
TIP: Have a plan for long term of your tank, this will help you to stock it properly and in order of least aggressive fish first.

ooh ooh, pick me, (hand raised)

tip: don't take your wallet into any fish store...leave it at home, find what you like, research it, then go back with your wallet (buyers remorse)

Naw no quiz, maybe a sticky to keep it up top so newbies can always find it. I noticed everyone new jumps right into the forum, and don't check out the whole site. Myself included, but it has a lot of useful tips and tricks posted so far that would have probably saved a lot of headaches and time. And probably lots of others who are looking and starting out in this hobby

Naw no quiz, maybe a sticky to keep it up top so newbies can always find it. I noticed everyone new jumps right into the forum, and don't check out the whole site. Myself included, but it has a lot of useful tips and tricks posted so far that would have probably saved a lot of headaches and time. And probably lots of others who are looking and starting out in this hobby

Haha, I was afraid to jump into the posts, probably thought I was at Reef Central or something; thought someone was going to yell at me at call me stupid :grumble:. haha, I would just go to a forum and open the first 20 threads in tabs and start reading, the only problem was that I was about 2 weeks too late...I pulled the one rookie mistake that this site can't help with...

TIP: Don't wait for a problem to happen before you look for information

...the problem is that we don't even know what questions to ask till we mess up;

TIP: Open just 10 threads a day, read the first post, and if you don't know the answer or think that the answer could help you too, then subscribe to it...if it's one of mine then it's probably a wordy waste of your time and you can close it :mrgreen:

I think a mistake that most newbies make is using tap water.

TIP: Do not use tap water to start your tank, top off, or do water changes.
What if I used tap water already and amquel and my tank is in the middle of cycle? Am I screwed for life? I have not added any tap water since filling it. I am now using RO water that I fill from grocery store. Will I be able to keep coral?

So is using RO/Do water necessary?
Yes, Rodi is necessary. It's playing Russian roulette with a reef tank. When you have spent thousands of dollars in inhabitants, there is no point to test the limits.

Tap water has a tds rating ( total dissolved solids). There is phoshates and silicates in tap water that promotes the growth of algae. To much and it growing and dying decreases oxygen in the system and promoting co2. The producing of co2 limits the higher ph. With low ph, you can hold down alk. and cal. With out alk and cal, your corals can't grow. You will have crashed your tank. Now you have 4 pieces of glass with some water in it.

No it won't be rodi water since your not supposed to drink di water, there is probably a LFS you can get it from but make sure your testing it before adding it to your tank. As with all things Buyer Beware

Tip: Read this book.

It's a simple read that can be found at Petco for $10-$15. There is a ton of great info online but this book will give you a good foundation for online research. It explains things like protein skimming and the nitrogen cycle in a thorough but easy to understand way. Definitely worth it.

Research online, ask your LFS salesperson, and ask on forums. Compare the information from all three to see what may be right. All three sources can be very wrong sometimes, it's good to have more than one!

Back