Tips for new reefers

clownfish123

Reefing newb
Watching beautiful, amazing, breath-taking fish can be amazing. Getting to the point of your tank where it is not neccersary to buy plenty of equipment and supplies is very bennificial. But getting there you will experience real pains in your wallet.
What I suggest to new reefers would be to go to a site like kijiji and buy an already set up tank. Yes, you may have to pay $1500 for one, but in the long run, your saving about $3000.
Another thing I suggest would be to buy the "Saltwater Aquariums For Dummies" book. Yes, the title is a little odd, but you get so much information from it such as the fish you should choose, what equipment you will need, what tests you will need, water chemistry, decorations, e.t.c...
Also, I would just like to say, take things slow and steady. There is no nead to rush into anything. Rushing will result into loss of fish and invertabrae. I learnt this the hard way.
The last thing I would reccomend would be to get information form different sources. Go to your local saltwater aquarium shop, talk to fellow fish friends and look on this forum. Get all the information neccesary to create a beautiful eco-system.
So, as I have said before, saltwater aquariums are beautiful, but getting to the beautiful point can be tough. Consider this advice before planning your dream aquarium.

Last edited:
Be very careful when you purchase an already set up tank. Many people get out of the hobby because they went cheap and didnt get the right equipment which makes the tank much harder to maintain, so then you end up spending more getting good equipment. You also tend to buy into people's problems, like algae, aiptasia or dozens of other pests that make people want to quit. So buy very carefully and make sure you are picky about what you are purchasing, dont be mislead by a buyer just trying to sell you a potential nightmare.

Also, I personally think the Saltwater for Dummies book isnt a very good source of information, this link has books that are of a higher quality.
https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html

+! 1000 on taking things slow and steady, nothing good happens fast and cheap in this hobby

+1 Little Fish. I was going to speak up about that book being not so good, but I'm still so new to this I'm kind of shy with any advice. That book, I thought was great at first until I really started looking at other sources then I realized it led me to make some choices that I wish I could take back.

I've read the Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies books (I've read quite a few of the advice guide books on saltwater aquariums that you can find at Borders or Barnes and Noble). A lot of what they recommend is very outdated and old school. I think they even have undergravel filters listed as suitable filtration for saltwater, if I remember correctly.

I bought the saltwater aquarium for dummies book and read it. It just gives you broad advice on different animal species and filtration options etc. etc.

It doesn't go into detail about the different species and all that kind of stuff.

Back