Tips needed.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by yote, Nov 12, 2008.

1. yote

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Aint talking about money wise either:D
    I need all the tips I can get on taking pictures of tanks and coral.Please:bowdown:

yote, Nov 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. yote

dustin_P74

when your tank has all the lights on turn your iso all the way down, and get good at using your macro setting

dustin_P74, Nov 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. yote

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

What kind of camera do you have? Can you controll the F-stop and Shutter speed? I am assuming this is a digital camera? Do you have a zoom or extra lenses? You can get great shots with a regular camera it just depends on what kind of advice I can give you.

Catherine
    www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com

Picasso, Nov 12, 2008
  4. yote

dustin_P74

this is the camera

dustin_P74, Nov 12, 2008
  5. yote

Hi Dustin: I'm going to assume you know nothing about photography but that you do know how to use all the settings on your camera. If I'm explaining the obvious or telling you something you don't know about let me know.

First: Try to turn off or eliminate all of the room lights and windows. Also, clean your glass! You don't want reflections.

2. Use a tripod if you have one or find an extremely stable surface to rest your camera on.

3. Set your ISO (sometimes called an ASA) to 800 or preferrably 1600 if you can.

4. Set your camera to aperture priority. This sets your depth of field. I would use the widest (smallest number) you can. Be sure though that if you are shooting moving fish then you want a shutter-speed fast enough to "catch" the movement. Usually 1/125 is desirable. This is why you need the fast ISO and the wide aperture.

5. I would use manual focus but keep the camera's automatic "spot" meter on. Manual focus will stop the camera from trying to focus on the tank or on the stuff on your glass instead of what's inside. The automatic "spot" meter will allow you to decide what you want to be totally proper exposure (colorful fish with dark background) If you meter on the light, your fish will turn out dark)

6. If you're shooting coral or rocks that don't move and you've got a nice tripod then you can use a longer shutter speed which will allow more of the stuff inside your tank to be properly exposed.

7. Unless you're taking pics of your lights, don't point the camera at the lights.

8. Use a good photo editing software to clean up glare and help even out your shots.

9. I can clean up a shot for you with adobe photoshop if you send me the file.

Hope this helps. Send me a link to your shots once you've tried this and I can give you more specific tips.

Thanks for your help with my lights!

Catherine

Picasso, Nov 12, 2008
  6. yote

dustin_P74

its yotes camera, i actually have a rebel xsi with a macro lens at my disposable

dustin_P74, Nov 12, 2008
  7. yote

Oh, I've got the XTI and I use it for most of my snapshots (family and such) You should be able to get some impressive shots! I forgot to mention, turn off your flash! Most of the tips I mentioned above should still apply. You may notice some problems focusing with the macro lens because it has such a short focal zone. Try some shots using those tips and post what you've got without digital editing. Then I can give you better advice. Another trick, if you've got a friend you can hold a light (maybe a flashlight with a white bulb) on whatever it is you are trying to take a shot of. You can't do it because you will get glare, they should be at a different angle than you are. Ideally, you have an off the camera flash you might be able to use on a low setting. Don't put the light directly in front of the camera or behind you. I look forward to seeing what you get!

Catherine

Picasso, Nov 12, 2008
    yote likes this.
  8. yote

Thanks Catherine.
    I'll be trying that as soon as the battery recharges.

yote, Nov 12, 2008
  9. yote

I wanted to update you guys. Tonight I pulled out my little Canon to make sure my advice was good. I got some really nice shots of my rock and the different gunk growing on them. My best shots were using shutter priority set at 125 and most of my apertures were about 5.6. Also, check your white balance. Try taking a shot with all the different settings, indoor, clouds, shade, tungsten, florescent, daylight and auto. My best shots were with cloud and shade. Definately use a manual focus. I'll upload my shots tomorrow, can't wait to actually have something to shoot other than rocks!

Catherine

Picasso, Nov 13, 2008
  10. yote

Melonbob

don't know what you use to upload Catherine, but most of us use photobucket

Oh ya, and you are NEVER EVER allowed to enter POTM.......~~q:

Melonbob, Nov 13, 2008
  11. yote

So, yote, does shooting the fishes with a camera come close to the experience of hunting? You still get to shoot stuff right? If you're ever in WI, we use hunters to clean out our forest behind our house to help keep the deer population in check. It's important up here because with overpopulating in a place that has a city around the forest the deers can starve with our brutal winters. Also, the deer start wandering out of the forests and cause all kinds of trouble with traffic accidents and such. Anyway, I can get you on the list if you're interested. You can take your dead thing to a place and they will clean and mount your kill and ship it home for you. This is a strong hunting community up here. I'm a tree-hugging, vegetarian, hippie type so I usually leave town that week. I appreciate all the wonderful things our hunters do for our community. They provide a strong service for all of us and help tend to the health of our wildlife. So, I appreciate ethical hunters but everytime I hear the bang of a gun, I keep thinking of Bambi's mommy. So anyway, If you don't have plans next fall, you can come up here where every truck drives around town with a big 'ol deer strapped to it's bumper. Bring your camera, I'll help you get some other shots. Take care, Catherine

Picasso, Nov 13, 2008
    yote likes this.
  12. yote

you have my word of honor, I'll not enter your contests. My "money" shots are usually of families, especially babies, and occasionally a landscape or two. No, my aquarium will definately be hobby shots only. I would love to help you if I can!

Catherine
    www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com:D

Picasso, Nov 13, 2008
  13. yote

Melonbob

I'm just kidding, I'm sure everyone would love to see you photos in POTM! It not like we're talkking piles of money here......lol

Melonbob, Nov 13, 2008
  14. yote

Thanks Catherine.
    Just let me say that hunting seems to a lot easier,even when no shot presents itself:D But I'm sure having a blast learning to take pictures.
    See how work goes,and I might just take you up on the hunting invite.I love being in the woods and watching wildlife.And you'd never hear me shoot a deer:D I'm an archery only deer hunter.

yote, Nov 13, 2008
  15. yote

I put one shot on my blog using the camera settings I gave to you earlier. This was taken with a short zoom lens, not a macro. I think the shot turned out pretty good. I didn't use my tripod which would have been better but I was lazy. The second shot is an "artsy" type shot. I realized that I got a shot of a Bristle worm in there. I really need stuff in my tank to shoot! Can't wait to see your shots.

catherine

Picasso, Nov 13, 2008
  16. yote

Bifferwine I am a girl

Me too!! Anyone that's been hanging around this site for more than a week has figured that out... ;)

Bifferwine, Nov 14, 2008
  17. yote

We still love ya though:mrgreen:

yote, Nov 14, 2008
  18. yote

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Dirty(well not so much in this case) Hippies! lol

RyanG, Nov 14, 2008
  19. yote

Well, RyanG, might I remind you that life is like a good reef tank. Diversity is the key to success. I think it's pretty groovy that a tree-hugging, vegetarian can enjoy hanging with a hunting, motorcycling, drag car enthusiast, and we can help bring out the best in each other. Hey, what's a "mixed reef experience?"

Catherine

Picasso, Nov 14, 2008
  20. yote

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Back in high school I was a deadhead hippy burnout. Just morphed into the hot rod/motorcycle culture. Still into the same stuff just the wardrobe changed. Back then it was all hemp, tye-dyes and corduroys. Not so much anymore. Damnit I hate urinalysis.

OBTW You will see that I am pretty sarcastic and unless the conversation takes place via PM pretty much any off color comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Most of them are pretty light-hearted ribbing.

RyanG, Nov 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question