To Cover or Not To Cover,That is the Question!!!

fyretr7

Reefing newb
Hey Guys,
I am in process of re-doing mu canopy top.I have removed all the lights,fans,etc and lightly sanded it and have applied a cpl coats of polyurethane to it,The bottom sides of canopy were starting to delaminate so I stripped the first layer off and replaced it with formica.The guy had a mag-18 pump on return and I think possibly it was too much.Anyways I think ive got that covered and am dropping down to a mg-12 for now.My question is this..I have an idea of either getting plexi-glass or perhaps even glass and drilling vent holes in it for oxygen exchange and covering the top of my aquarium.It will be 2 pieces since I already have a pretty substantil piece of glass in middle as a cross brace.I have 3 metal halides placed across the top and was wondering if the glass would somewhat help to keep the heat directly off the water from the lights?Also if I use some sort of lexan or plexi-glass would it get too hot and possibly melt?My lights are about 7 or 8 " from the water line.I am also working on a small blower retro-fit box that you can either mount on top of canopy or perhaps on side.Thinking of using an old wall heater double sided blower on lower speed as the power source.Of course it will be on a timer with the MH lights and can either be positive or negative ventilation.Believe me this little sucker (no pun intended),will move some air either way and with variable speeds for your ventilation choice.Opinions would be welcome and idea's or improvements welcomed even more..............Dutch:bounce:

I have a piece of plexi over my BC29. The tank has lighlty raised ridges around the top of the tank and this creates a small space for air to flow between the tank top and the plexi. Make sure you do NOT have a tight fitting lid so that you will get air flow for good oxygen exchange.

I`m one of those old foggies that believes that you should not have a solid covering on top of the tank. Even holes drilled in will not help much. It does not allow for adequate gas exchange to help keep PH where it needs to be. JMO

I'm with Mike and Smitty on this one.
Glass or plexi either one wont let the tank breath.Then theres the issue of the magnifying glass effect.Plus the water spots on the glass,salt creep a,d algae will cut the intensity of the light getting to the corals.

Thanks for the advice about the glass top.Guess ill just leave it vented for now.BTW what do you think about my blower retrofit idea???............................Dutch:bounce:

I think it would be good.Anything you can do to get fresh air into the canopy aint gonna do nothing but help the tank breath.

I had glass tops on my 125. There was a 3 inch space at the rear of the glass that was open which I covered with egg crate for carpet surfers. This summer my temp had risen to 82 at the end of the day. I usually run it at 79. I took the middle section of glass out and there is about an 8 in. open area over the tank now and the temp seems to be fine now. I think the corals like the extra light also.
Moral of the story......The more air, the better

Any problems with dust or air "crap" on the surface of the tank without a top?
I'm always worried about surface film buildup.

I am thinking of removing mine as well.

I've never had a problem with Messiah.
I'm sure some gets in the water,but the overflows pull it off the surface and into the filtration.

+1 to all of the above.

no solid top.

if your worried about carptet surfers make an eggcrate top. as long as you have surface agitation and an overflow you dont need to worry about surface gunk.

Back