to host or not to host

standingstill

Reefing newb
last week i got 2 small ocellaris clowns that had not yet determined their sex. they did a little dance for a couple of days and now i believe they have figured out who wheres the pants in the relationship...

i have a frogspawn coral set up in the centre of the tank, along with other various corals and and a few anemone, the 2 clowns seem very interested in the frogspawn, from what i have seen they only stick there nose up close to it and just barely touch the coral....is this a sign that they will likely host in it? is it common for clowns to host in anything other than an anemone?

There is a good reason their called clownfish:D Because you never know what their going to decide to use as a host.

my one clown hosts my duncans and my other hosts a pagoda coral. They both used to host the pagoda coral but I think the male gets kicked out at night.

They will pretty much host anything -- corals, anemones, heaters, powerheads, a particular rock... If they do host your coral, a lot of times they end up killing it. Corals aren't natural hosts for clowns and usually get battered to death by the fish. Keep an eye on your corals if you see them playing around them.

Back