To keep the HOB fuge or let it go

lilyicu

FOWLR
I was wondering who all is running tanks with refugiums? I got my HOB fuge about a year ago and was enjoying it. My problem is that between my Super Skimmer leaking and my fuge leaking I just had to replace my 72g bowfront (the stand was all warped) with a 75g tank and oak stand. I upgraded my skimmer but the fuge is still leaking. My husband said he would work on it with me to find some good o-rings and try to stop the leaking but is it necessary? Do I have to run a fuge to have good water quality. I am doing bi-weekly water changes right now. I only have 5 fish in my tank.

Any Suggestions?

What's leaking on it? If it's an inlet or outlet you could go to lowes or home depot and buy a piece of rubber from their plumbing sections and make your own gaskets. That what I did with my sump inlet and I think it's better than theno rings that were on it, they were cracked and leaking. Personally I'd keep it if it was doing it's job well.

If it's leaking, I'd get rid of it. You don't need a fuge, although they are nice. Maybe down the road you can figure out a way to incorporate a fuge into your system that won't leak.

I am considering adding a sump..the problem is the tank is already up and running and I could probably only fit a 10g tank underneath. Would that even be worth adding? Or should I just keep the HOB fuge?

Back