To Many Zoas

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I love Zoas, but mine are spreading faster than I can handle. They keeping popping up in different places and multiplying faster than rabbits! Of course they aren't having much luck fighting my purple shrooms that are also spreading like wild fire. Is a razor blade the only way to stop the spreading? They are getting to close to some other corals.

You can frag them and give them to me. I'll help you in your time of need!

Jk, but you can cut the carpet of the zoas and pull them off in bunches. You could try trading them at your LFS!

You could also use aptasia-x to kill them! I'll admit, when I killed all my aiptasia, I still felt like exploding some more things, so I took out a few zoas for fun.

I would do what Rufio suggested. I have tons of zoas in my tank, and have to thin them out frequently. Once you get a corner of the mat peeled up, it's pretty easy to pull the whole thing off.

We'll see this weekend, how it goes. I tried Craigslist, and sold one colonie of 50, but that was it. I know I've been told to frag them, but don't know anyone wanting frags around me. I don't see the prices some people want for zoas, seeing how they grow so fast. Maybe I should invest in the real expensive ones and let them go wild in my tank!

well you could always frag them and sell them here on this site.i know they will fly from this site pretty quick,no point in killing them when lots of people want frags

You could also use aptasia-x to kill them! I'll admit, when I killed all my aiptasia, I still felt like exploding some more things, so I took out a few zoas for fun.

Will that really work? will it screw up the water? and will it work on xenia?????? If the the answer to two out of three is yes I am going to pick up a quart.....

It won't work on xenia, I don't think - it'd be very hard to get them to "eat" it, I would imagine. But if you do a <10 or so a day, it really shouldn't screw up the water quality.

With xenia, I've heard dropping the phosphate can help control them...they tend to grow less rapidly on systems with zeovit or algae turf scrubbers.

I posted the zoas on here before, but didn't get one response. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. Here's a pic of a colonie.

Attachments

• P1110263.jpg
    P1110263.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 296
i would take some too but my tank has just started cycling right now,give me 3 weeks and i could take some off your hands,i would give you 25.00 and pay for shipping as well

I have have had my zoas for months and they havent grown at all what the hell :grumble:

Maybe your LFS will give you store credit for them to get other stuff???

I would love to get a deal on my first zoas...not sure how it would work...I'm in massachusetts, if you sent it priority flat rate small box it would only be 5.25 shipped.If dropped off first thing in the morning on a weekday it could actually get here overnight...2 days max...can they ship that long? Overnight rates seem like small purchase wouldnt be worth it.Sorry, I'm a complete newbie and have no idea what to offer, I would send you 30 bucks and just trust your judgement...how would we do this? Can you email me and work out details?

yes they will do fine priority shipped,zoas are really good about that,might work even better in the kordon breather bags, i will swear by thoes bags,used to ship lots of fish that way

I have have had my zoas for months and they havent grown at all what the hell :grumble:

I've had one of my zoa colonies for just over a year now ... The first six months I saw virtually no growth at all, but the last six months it's tripled, almost quadrupled, in size. I think it just takes a while for some of them to take off.

I posted the zoas on here before, but didn't get one response. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. Here's a pic of a colonie.

From what I see locally, zoas go for $10-20 depending on how many polyps. I'm not an expert by all means as I just started but this is what I see listed on Craigslist in my area. I'm actually going to buy some tomorrow. Maybe if I need more, I will buy some from you to help out.

How many polyps are there?

Back