To pvc or not to pvc

To get water from your tank to your sump, you can use whatever you wish. Braided tubing, flexible PVC, hard PVC (sch 40 or sch 80). The clear flexible tubing isn't really recommended due to algae growth from light penetration.

Yea, about 2 weeks since I've had my sump running, and I can already see some brownish algae coming in the clear tubing where the sump light shines on it. (I used clear flexible)

I like PVC. It is cheap. So if you make a mistake, it is easy to redo. I also like that it is rigid(:mrgreen:) so the chances of a hose getting knocked out of where it is supposed to be is lessened. Also don't have to worry about hose clamps coming loose.

I have the clear on my return...and it is getting nasty with algae...I didnt see any blue when I got this...*sigh* another thing I will have to redo at some point...I do like that I dont have any hard turns with it..

I have used both rigid PVC and flexible tubing when plumbing tanks. I far prefer PVC. It's a fraction of the cost, simple to use, and when you glue it it's leakproof (which can't necessarily be said for the joins of flexible tubing).

Back