To Quarantine or Not to Quarantine?

From Nemo's articles, it seemed like the QT process was just to observe the new addition for an outbreak, and then treat it if an outbreak occurred. If you can't see that the fish is infected, and, therefore, you don't treat it, the QT was useless. Does this mean you should always treat fish with copper or another treatment before adding them to the DT even if they aren't showing any symptoms?
This is why i QT and treat with hypo.Even though i trust the heck out of my LFS.

Okay. Thanks again guys. It seems like everytime I think I've got everything figured out in this hobby, something unexpected slaps me in the face. I should be used to it by now... :roll:

Quarantine Tanks can be a pain but if it's wet it should be in Quarantine. When buying Fish,Coral or inverts, snails you can;t be absolutely sure that they don't have Parasites of some kind, I've had a tank crash after introducing Coral to my tank, I;m still not sure why but I run a quarantine from now on. I guess it's just piece of mind, Mine is a 40 breeder and a 20 gl Sump

If your system is new and you quarantine everything in it then I think that is the best road to take. But if not then there is not point. My system has ich and my fish are fine but when I do introduce a new fish sometimes I see a little outbreak depending if they have fights or not.

When I move im planning on a bigger system ( already in storage ) and im going to keep my current system aside from corals and the live rock running so that I can use it as a QT for my current fish. But im going to do Hypo salinity and not copper for about 2 to 3 months, this will give and water or any ich that may have traveled to the new system on the live rock or any small amount of water that makes it there time to die off. Then I would move my fish and in turn QT any new fish also.

Back