To skim, or not to skim?

Reefrookie

Not so new anymore!
My 125's cycle is in progress. Should I turn my skimmer on now or wait till the cycle is over and I start to stock the tank?
Also, should I start out with a CC, or a fish or two?

Skim it! It will help remove enough of the junk to keep algae blooms down run everything but the lights. When you get your ammonia spike and the nitrates return to zero then add a cleanup crew(CUC). Then after it remains stable for a few weeks add a hardy fish. A lot of flow will help in the curing process.

What kind of live rock did you use? GOT ANY PICS? We live off pics around here the more the better.

Only have about 50 lbs. live fugi on top of 125 lbs. of base. I intend to add more live rock slowly as I progress. No pics yet, nothing to see but rock and bed!
Any suggestions on amount of critters for the CUC?

as for you concern for the amount for a clean up crew check out reeftopia.com. they have reef packages that you can look at to get a good idea of what you need.

Never quite understand people's recommending leaving the lights off?Algae is coming eventually,if you run the lights now or wait after the cycle.Go ahead an start the skimmer now,most need a break-in period anyways.Let your algae be you're guide when getting a CUC.Start on the low side and add more if needed.

I have always run my lights during cycling. I really don't think it matters, you'll get algae no matter what!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Don't add any animals until ammonia and nitrites are at 0, and your nitrates are close to 0 also. You can start off with cleaner crew and a fish or two.

I have been able to avoid nasty hair algae by not running my lights each time I set up a tank. That is just me. I am a fan of the dark for a cycle. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had hair algae....:Cheers::Cheers:

-Doc

:bounce:Run lights, skimmers and everything else as if the tank was fully established. Once you get a spike in amonnia above 1 ppm do a water changes to get it down to 1 ppm. For example if it is 1.25 ppm do a 25 percent water change, if 1.5 ppm do a 50 percent water change etc.. Continue monitoring ammonia and any time it gets over it rises above 1 ppm do more water changes until it is below 1 ppm. This should take around 7 to 10 days total. After this time your tank will covert any ammonia to nitrites faster than the ammonia can be tested for. Within a short period after that your tank will convert the nitrites to nitrates. Once this happens and your ammonai and nitrites bothread zero. Do water changes until you get your nitrate below 5 ppm. This method will preserve the life of everything that came with, in and on your live rock and very much minimize the chances of algae out breaks.

Last edited:
I generally run some light over a cycling tank. The appearance of diatom is almost a sure sign that your cycle is over. This means just two test. One at the beginning to verify the existence of an ammonia level and one after diatoms appear to make sure ammonia and nitrites have fallen to zero.

Back