To sock or not to sock? That is the question.

KevinMs

Reefing newb
So tonight i replaced my old skimmer in my sump with a new one. The new one takes up more space and shares the same compartment with my filter sock. It has now gone from difficult to a p.i.t.a. to change the sock once it becomes clogged. I'm entertaining the idea of not running a sock at all but my only reservation is snails or some other small solids getting sucked into the skimmer motor. Plus I have been under the assumption that a good filter sock has decent water polishing capabilities. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who don't run a sock and I would love opinions from both sides.

I don't run a sock but I am not an experienced enough reefer to advice here.. and am also interested in what the experienced reefers have to say.

IMO , if its a p.i.t.a. to change then eventually you run the risk of not doing it as often as you should. Therefore I would say go without. Have you thought about adding a snail guard to your overflow to prevent them from getting to the sump ? Also if you are concerned with stuff settling in your sump, you could place a powerhead in the sump pointed at the floor to help keep things suspended.

IMO , if its a p.i.t.a. to change then eventually you run the risk of not doing it as often as you should. Therefore I would say go without. Have you thought about adding a snail guard to your overflow to prevent them from getting to the sump ? Also if you are concerned with stuff settling in your sump, you could place a powerhead in the sump pointed at the floor to help keep things suspended.

Good, I didn't want more maintenance.... ya think?

I dont use a filter sock. I figure what goes into the fuge is food for the fuge. Also I dont want anything decreasing my pod population other then the fish.

Back