To UV or not UV that is the question.

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
Ok so here is where I am at.....
I have a 30 gal bowfront that I am making a reef tank. Lights I have covered but filtering I am still working on. So let me tell you where I am at here so you all can help me out:

I cant do a sump due to size restrictions and a baby running around the house I am sure will do more damage then not to something easily accesable so for now I have opted to go with a canister filter. Now the canister filter I am going with has removable media trays that you can fill with the media of your choice. Now I do already have a skimmer going with the tank. One of the people at my LFS says DEFINITELY get a canister filter with a UV sterilizer on it, but one of my friends who is an avid reefer and use to work at this same store says he doesnt really think it is necessary.

I want to do right by my tank from the start, so I would like your opinions on the matter. I have considered a HOB refugium however because I have a daughter who likes to touch and shake things, I would like for anything I get to be safely out behind the door of my tank stand.

Let me know :) I just want to know which one to buy Thanks in advance!

IMO if your already have a skimmer running on the system there is no reason to use a canister filter in the first place. Canister filters are well known to cause nitrate problems in salt water systems. They are fresh water technology that just dosnt translate well.

As far as UV goes some people use them and others don't. To me it sounds like the LFS trying to make a sale but thats just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I am hearing the same thing as well however I just need to do more research and wanted more suggestions from others

OH last thing can anyone tell me the size powerheads I need? I have two in there however I dont want to throw my fish and everything else into a tornado

I had a LFS tell me "The only way you can ever keep coral is to use a UV" I said "Really? Ive had coral thriving in my tank for years without having the need for one."

Needless to say, i have seen that LFS decline in recent years.

I am of the thought that less is more.

Well the guy I am talking to that used to work there said the guy I talked to at the LFS is new, but he is learning. Obviously I am taking what he is saying with a grain of salt and learning all I can from everyone and all the resources I can

IMO the UV kills more good things than bad. If you have system of super delicate tangs, then it might be a good investment, but in your case i wouldnt run one.

Also +1 on the canister, just stick with water changes and HOB skimmer and you are good to go

I don't know about UV but I can tell you that I was hesitant (downright scared) to run a tank without a cannister filter (ex freshwater guy)...I bit the bullet and listened to the excellent advice from the likes of littlefish, and others, and have been running my 55 gallon with just a protien skimmer and regular water changes...my tank has been testing great and never looked so good, my clowns and corals are thriving and I am fully embracing the filterless tank ( protien skimmer is actually a mechanical filter but you know what I mean) If you have enough live rock and flow a skimmer seems to be all you need...hang on back refugium is a good idea too...
Good Luck with your tank...you will get some great advice here...

Last edited:
Everyone is right, cannister filters cause more trouble than they are worth unless the media is changed every few days which is a pain and a waste of money. A skimmer is the best way to go, which you have.

+1 to little fish on the UV. I would not run it unless you have specific reason to. The UV steriliser will end up killing a lot of good bacteria and pods which end up feeding your fish. So pass on that for now :)

Powerheads: now you can have as much as you want really as long as your sand isnt being suspended by the flow. If you dont want to keep sps yo uwant to have a medium flow.

I have the same tank, 29g bowfront. It's been set up for 8 years. I have a backbapck wet dry with a built in protein skimmer made by Sea Life Systems. I have a Hydor PH. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket in in the base of the stand with an auto top off so I only have to fill once a week. And now the part where I completely disagree with everyone. I swear by UV. My fish don't get diseases. my coral thrives. When my UV bulb gets old or blows I can tell, because that's the only time I start running into issues. I use Tropic Marin Biocalcium and occosaionally combisan or Julian sprungs reef formula (you have to be careful not to overdose). I've been feeding combo-vital and Dr. G's oyster. Canister filters are good for vacuuming or some temporary purpose. Consider the back pack wet/dry. I can take some pictures if you want.

To me, if you are seeing disease in your fish when your UV isnt running says to me that something is wrong in your system. Your fish should be able to handle most stuff, and they should only be susceptible to disease when they are stressed. It sounds like your fish are over stressed and once the UV light is gone they show it. To me, that is not heathy and not something i would want to see in a tank.

But if that works for you, then it works for you

I've only had fish disease once in 8 years and that was with a yellow tang. I'm just speaking generally. I find that UV prevents algae growth. I've been doing this for a long time. I've seen a lot of tanks. I'm not bragging but my 29g is disgustingly healthy and thriving. I have a system with a low maintainence routine and it works. I'm not hating, just sharing what I do.

Sure why not. I had an emperor snapper, sea goblin, spotted grouper, crocodile fish, toadfish, leaf scorpion and a frogfish in my 29g coral tank for more than 2 years. Completely defies "the rules." I will admit that it was un-fair for the emporeror when he got big (snappers like to move around and have very sensitive lateral lines whch is not good for small tanks) but all the other fish just laid there. I decided to switch to a community tank and traded them all out at the LFS for peaceful fish.

I forgot to mention, I was borrowing the yellow tang from my LFS (no intentions of keeping him) because of a Cholurpa (don't think that's spelled correct) overgrowth problem. He went to town on it but he wound up with black spot. I put him in a hospital tank and was giving him methylene dips. It was actually working quite well. I cured the black spot. He then wound up with finrot.

You don't need an uv...most of us reefers don't have one. It'll just be something else hanging on the tank for the baby to get ahold to. :)

Im not really sure what to say about that. I dont want to start an argument over this, but i would never ever ever ever ever recommend that to anyone. Fish that just lay there is one thing, but not an active fish like a tang.

For what it's worth, I've never used a UV on either of my tank but, a UV unit is on my list of equipment upgrades for my 75.

I don't have a seperate UV unit. I have a UV case that coincidentally fits perfect in my backpack wet dry right at the overflow. based on what everyone's saying it sounds like you should start without one.

Back