? Toad stool now whats going on??

imdaring

love my reef
OK a while back my toad stool went through a molting it started to lay on its side but after a few days it perked back up now it has turned green like algea had developed on it and it has tippede on its side again any ideas? I gave it a iodine soak today to see if that would help 1/2 gal salt water and 20 drops of iodine her is a pic of the toad stool...:grumble: there is a snail on it

Attachments

• P1010369.jpg
    P1010369.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 445
  • P1010370.jpg
    P1010370.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 509
How much flow is the leather getting?Leathers need a pretty decent current to remove waste and slime.Which could be part of your problem with it.

Leathers periodically shed their outer layer, which is the slime Yote is referring to. During this shedding period, they look like crap and you think they're gonna die. If you see slime or strings hanging off of it, take a turkey baster and gently blast water on it to loosen it free. Usually this is why leathers start looking bad, not because they're sick or diseased.

I have not seen any slim when it molted a couple of weeks backit got flakes on it and they all came off but now it's like green algea? I'll try and move it and see if that helps

The toadstool will shrink to some degree and when it expands back out the slime coat will shed off. if the current is not correct the slime coat will not dislodge and the coral will not be able to clean itself of the alga and debris the slime coat collects. this is simply a cleaning process and it is important for the coral to have adequate and proper water circulation about it.

yOUR FLOW SHOULD BE NOT DIRECTLY ON THE CORAL BUT JUST PAST IT SO THAT THE WATER MOVEMENT ABOUT THE CORAL IS CAOTIC. DIRECT LEANER FLOW CAN DAMAGE THE CORAL IF TOO STRONG. HOPE THIS CLEARS IT UP. GOOD LUCK.

Back