Toadfish Tankmates

Flegenheimer

Reefing newb
Hi all, I just registered for this forum today. I have had saltwater tanks for years, even worked in my LFS for a few of them. I went to college and my attention to my hobby declined, but now I'm graduated and looking to get back in the swing of things.

I have a Orange Toadfish, had it for years, and it lived quite happily with two moray eels. There was an accident several months ago, and I lost both of the eels. Despite the toadfish being solitary, I truly think he misses the eels.

The toadfish is around 6 inches. I want to get some more fish, but I know how incredibly predatory they are. I think I am safe with another big moray, but can anyone think of a tankmate that could get along in this setup (preferably something that is active, swims in the middle-upper part of the tank, and colorful)? I was thinking a pufferfish, but anything I put in there should be around the toadfish's size, correct?

Also, I haven't been able to find anything concrete about the toadfish's toxicity, is it at all poisonous?

Nice to have ya here with us man. There are a few members that have fish only tanks and predatory tanks. I hope some will get on and help out with what your looking for. But until then cheers and welcome to the site.

you can try a clown trigger or the picasso trigger. Also there is te marine betta all are very agrressive. just make sure they are bigger then your toad fish or it will be toast

Welcome to the forum
i think they are posionous,,i'd get a clown trigger to keep him company(not in the 50)...is this in the 50 gallon you have in your sig?If so,i think your options are very limited when it comes to aggressive fish.Maybe a good sized bloodhawk
(if you can find one,i'm still looking)

Last edited:
you can try a clown trigger or the picasso trigger. Also there is te marine betta all are very agrressive. just make sure they are bigger then your toad fish or it will be toast

I don't think I'd try a trigger in a 50 gallon tank. Triggers would make a great tank mate for the toadfish, but not in that small of a tank.

A small lion or puffer would be good. Maybe even a large, aggressive clown, like a maroon clown.

I don't think I'd try a trigger in a 50 gallon tank. Triggers would make a great tank mate for the toadfish, but not in that small of a tank.

A small lion or puffer would be good. Maybe even a large, aggressive clown, like a maroon clown.
sorry biff is right I didnt even notice the size tank you had

If the toadfish is around 6 inches, how big would the puffer/lionfish have to be?

Welcome to the forum
i think they are posionous,,i'd get a clown trigger to keep him company(not in the 50)...is this in the 50 gallon you have in your sig?If so,i think your options are very limited when it comes to aggressive fish.Maybe a good sized bloodhawk
(if you can find one,i'm still looking)
sounds like it is time for an upgrade maybe a 180 or 210:bounce::Cheers:
I just got a puffer and so far love their personality. Always at the glass looking for attention or food:shock:
oh yeah welcome to the forum

Back