Today was a great day!!!I was given a 100 gallon fish tank today.

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
So im at work today,i work for this company part time and was in a abandoned office when i noticed this old looking fish tank in the wall.Im not sure the gallon size but its 90 or 100.So i asked the ower if he would sell it,but he just gave it to me.I was like WOW!!!:D:D:D

I got two hang on protein skimmers today that was with it,5 801 Aqua clear powerheads,one other type of power head.All tested when i got home,they all work except one (it needs a new wheel shaft).Two heaters Untested.

He said it never leaked just that he didnt want it anymore.Its really dirty since its been sitting for about a year and never took anything out.He just left it.Such a score:D:D.

He left about 150 to 200 pounds of liverock in they tank.Its been sitting for about a year without water.It covered in alittle salt.The rock looked great too.

This is the big Question.Is there anyway of using that same liverock and it still being liverock?Can i reseed it some how or cultivate it.Just because it would make it easier on my pocket to setup.All i would need is a killer kick ass set of lights.Also make a sump.Im so happy:Cheers:

Ya but you have to cure it. What you need to do is rinse it really well on RO/DI water. Then buy a bunch of live sand and some more live rock. Put it all in the tank and let it run for a month or two. Do a massive water change and then let it cycle again for after that. Thats when you start testing it.

Thats a great score.
Like Hawk said.Wash the rock good with RO water.
Then when you've got the tank clean,just add 20 or so pounds of good quality live rock.It'll all be live before you know it.

Good deal for sure.

Rinse the old rock and put it in.Buy some live rock to seed the old rock and off you go.I say 10lbs or more,btw.

Buy a copper test BEFORE you use that old rock. If that guy ever treated his tank with copper, the rocks are contaminated, and you want to find that out before you go mixing them in with new rock and sand.

How Would i test the old liverock for copper?And whats RO/Di water?Im picking it up monday with all the rock.Ill post pictures monday night.Ill Also have to build a stand for it.

Put the rock in some water and let em sit over night.Then just buy a copper test kit.That should tell the tale.

RODI water stands for Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized. It's basically water that has been through a purification process to remove all the nutrients, heavy metals and contaminants in it.

You can buy RODI water at your LFS, and Walmart and grocery stores sell it in big jugs. Walmart even has a station that you can bring your own containers and fill them.

Never use tap water. That will lead to trouble.

So im at work today,i work for this company part time and was in a abandoned office when i noticed this old looking fish tank in the wall.Im not sure the gallon size but its 90 or 100.So i asked the ower if he would sell it,but he just gave it to me.I was like WOW!!!:D:D:D

I got two hang on protein skimmers today that was with it,5 801 Aqua clear powerheads,one other type of power head.All tested when i got home,they all work except one (it needs a new wheel shaft).Two heaters Untested.

He said it never leaked just that he didnt want it anymore.Its really dirty since its been sitting for about a year and never took anything out.He just left it.Such a score:D:D.

He left about 150 to 200 pounds of liverock in they tank.Its been sitting for about a year without water.It covered in alittle salt.The rock looked great too.

This is the big Question.Is there anyway of using that same liverock and it still being liverock?Can i reseed it some how or cultivate it.Just because it would make it easier on my pocket to setup.All i would need is a killer kick ass set of lights.Also make a sump.Im so happy:Cheers:

I hate you. :Cheers:

Seriously though, good find!! Congratulations!!

That RO/DI unit is too expensive for what it is.

Have a look at this. I have this one.
Filter Direct Online Store (C)

I did have to spend an additional $75 to get a pump for it. It NEEDS 60psi to work properly. Most good RO membranes require a lot of pressure to work at max efficiency. Still the same price as the one you're looking at -- with the pump-- and a better unit. Took me about 2hrs to hook it up. Should have taken 30 minutes, but I made a trip to Home Depot and bought some fancy fittings so it would be easy to take out if I move. I ain't leaving it here--thats for sure!! :shock:

Mine is 6 stages.
Sediment
Carbon
Carbon
RO membrane
DI canister
DI canister
It works AWESOME!! :bounce:

Thanks for that link.Put it my Favs for the future.Im gonna start a tank showcase thread monday.Then ill be posting pictures.Im stoked.gonna start my big tank up.Im gonna set it up and start ordering my lights and accessories while its curing and cycling.

Im gonna need to build a stand First,and soak the old rock.I already have all the rock,just need to get the 20lbs to reseed.I have all the powerheads i need.Need to test the two heaters,but will probaly buy one new one.I need to build a sump or buy one.My 45 gallon is a tall tank and dont wanna really use that.Well see.I have like four protein skimmers now.Could i just hang three of the back without a sump?

Last edited:
I bought a six stage RODI unit on Ebay for $60. The store was called Pure Water Club. Check them out. The RODI Fairy (whoever she may be) also bought the same one for Redline. It works really well.

Ok today i picked up my tank.It was so heavy!!:grumble:I still dont know the gallons can anyone tell me?L 72" W 18" H 27".OH hers the picture its really dirty and needs some cleaning.Cant complain its free.
Picture413.jpg

Heres the liverock,its covered in salt.
Picture403.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Back