Tomato Clowns

emily120289

Reefing newb
I have 1 Large Tomato clown.. I think shes a female, shes very dominant and aggressive.. I have another smaller tomato clown.. not as aggressive and submissive to the larger one.. I was thinking they were a pair because they tend to stick together most of the day and at night... But Ive noticed the smaller one has a chunk missing out of his tail and pectoral fin.. could they be both females? .. or is the larger female just a jerk?

Also, is there a way to stop the female from being so aggressive? and is there a way to aid in the repair of the smaller clowns fins?

The larger tomato clown will always be more aggressive. The fins will heal on their own, just watch to make sure it looks like its healing well.

The larger one is also the female one. Just make sure your smaller clown is getting enough to eat and he'll be fine

Clowns are hermaphroditic -- they all start off as males but will change sexes to fill roles. If you get two clowns that are the same size, one will grow big very quickly and turn into a female. The other will remain a male. If the big female dies, and you add another clown, then the largest and most dominant male will grow big and turn into a female.

They are weird critters!

thanks for the suggestions.. Ive been watching them all morning.. the female clown swims in one area of the tank, shes very territorial.. the smaller clown will swim with her a bit, then she will once and awhile chase him away.. I added a magenta dottyback the other day... the female clown has probably chased him off once but since then hasnt really paid him any mind..

How long does it take for the fins to repair themselves? also is there anything I should add to the tank to help the process?.. Also would changing my rocks around... or putting the female in a QT tank then introducing her after a few days help? thanks :)

I had a damsel that had fin rot. He started growing his tail back probably within less than a week once I got my water parameters really good. Eventually grew it all back and was super healthy (until he died in an ammonia spike :( )

So I'd guess about a week you should notice improvement

Back