tons and tons of airbubbles

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
why????
I went home for like a min to pic something up and I look into my tank and see ALOT of aibubbles on my glass ( stuck on some algae) alot of micobubbles in the water to but why

I did notice that one of the hob overflows stopped but the other one is doing good

In the sump the water still has some good way to gobefore it reaches the pump level

I'm confused I wont be getting home till like an hour or two

Oh alsobthe algae is just were the rocks touch the glass the pressure points

And its hard algae tried scrapping it of one time but no luck

Last edited:
I had the same problem at about the same time as you 2 months. It is just the tank continuing to mature. The carbon dioxide is being turned into oxygen by your algae. Believe me, i had air bubbles by the thousands during this process and it took a good 3-4 weeks to go away. :frustrat: It covered the sand, rock and glass. You will hear on here a lot "Patience" it is key! Next you might experience a diatom algae outbreak where everything gets covered by brown algae, that process really sucks to. Again patience it is all part of the process. It gets better and then you will see where your hard work and efforts pay off! :bounce:

so???? Just leave it

Will I have to scrub the brown algae cause now that you mention it I do see some on my rocks( damn I was just starting to see some bright coraline too)
I see it oj my sand too ( I tought it was the brown sand I had under the white)

What should I do:shock:

What i am about to tell you is tedious and time consuming! :frustrat: After about 2 weeks of putting up with it. What i did do reduce the diatom algae(brown stuff) was to reduce the day lights time to about half or all together for about 2-3 days and reduced my actinics to 8 hours. Then siphoned off my sand ever so slightly, every 3 days or so, you don't want to suck out more than 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so off the top. I also took a turkey baster, which will become one of your best tools u can have, and lightly hosed off all the Live Rock about 2 times a day everyday till it's gone. The diatoms will in time go away and the green algae will start to show up, along with better coralline algae growth(purple stuff). Hope this helps.

heres some pics

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

sorry this pic is sideways
IMG_0456.JPG

and so is this one

its the overflow covered in brown algae (the box itself is clear)
IMG_0455.JPG

I had problems too. Mine was my filter blowing air bubbles in after I'd cleaned it. I finally figured out to to shake it several times after cleaning it so the bubbles would work their way out at one time and not over the course of a week. Also, once the bubbles were in there the power head seemed to suck them up and continue to spew them out in multiples.

Last edited:
try getting some inverts to help u out
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu4xOt...P=1207698894/**http://www.reefscavengers.com/
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=420+1805
try to stay away from big hermits,emerald crabs,and sally lightfoot crabs if u choose to get more inverts.
also keep in mind that u have a ?lionfish? there and they arnt reef safe so they arnt capatible wit shrimp,crabs,and starfish

the awesome thing about my Lion is he wont mess with my fire or skung shrimp cause believe it or not the shrimp are begger than him lol

also one more question during this "cycle" can i add another fish/coral (the reason im asking is cause i have been looking for a flame angel and noone has had any for about a month and a half and if i do see one i will be purchasing unless the algae posts a thread to my fishs well being
will my fish be in any health danger???ick????

I would hold off on buying any fish until you get your algae and bubble problems under control. As of right now if your fish are doing fine leave them be and just focus on getting your tank better. Any more fish right now may hurt you more than you realize. It is just an additional load on a system that is trying to catch up.

I would hold off on buying any fish until you get your algae and bubble problems under control. As of right now if your fish are doing fine leave them be and just focus on getting your tank better. Any more fish right now may hurt you more than you realize. It is just an additional load on a system that is trying to catch up.

thanks goose

well for now ill juts focus on buying a new tv then lol

also your quote under your name is so so true :grumble:hello my name is JC and im a reefer addict:death::mrgreen:

All I see is air bubbles attached to the diatoms on the glass and rocks.I don't see much micro-bubbles in the water column.Maybe it's time to add some snails.

microbubbles and a 2megapixel iphone cam well not quite a match made in heaven but yes for the most part its mainly bubbles on the diatom

as for the micros well i managed to get rid of them what happend was the return pump was somehow tilted and was getting a skim of air causing micros

i cleaned the lass and wiped the diatom off the glass overflow box and powerheads looks ALOT cleaner even toughgt tommorow it will prob look the same :grumble:

:bounce:You have cyano algae. Algae/air bubble = cyano algae or cyano bacteria, how ever you wish to call it. Control is typical of algae control as in do water changes, syphon off what you can. Enough bubbles usually form that the algae seems to almost raise in a sheet from surfaces, so it is easy to siphon out of tank. Do not scrape back into tank. If you scrub glass wipe from bottom to top and take scrubber out of tank and rinse then repeat. If the problem persists or comes back you might want to consider changing light bulbs. Cyano like higher wave lenght lights, so stay with low wave length lights. Cyano will not grow under straight (420 nm) actinic lighting. Cyano is often a problem when using old light bulbs. :^:

Last edited:
well side I've cleaned my glass it hasn't gotten back but I to notice it on the rocks still
so just use a turkey baster what if I point a ph to them will that also help

Back