too long

amonya

Reefing newb
ok,Ive seemed to have caused a problem by not introducing the right amount of alge eaters in my first tank. read articals on alge eaters all ready but the problem is that i have 30 gallon tank and the long hair alge is too long for my snails to eat so what should I introduce that could aid in the trimming of alge that can go into a 30 gallon tank ,i have three fish in my tank right know two tomatos and a damsel and one coral bandit and assortment of small corals and only two large snails(I think)Ive spotted some babys but what type of clean up crew can we come up with for my very unplanned aqurium.o also i have crushed coral for substrate.help

IT SEEMS YOU NEED TO INTRODUCE EITHER A TANG OR RABBIT FISH. MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES ARE THE Siganus unimaculatus (onespot foxface Rabbitfish), TANGS- Acanthurus Triostegus(Convict Surgeonfish), Paracanthurus hepatus(Palette Surgeonfish/ Pacific Blue Tang), Sebrasoma Desjardinii(Sailfin Tang), Zebrasoma Flavescens(Yellow Tang), Zebrasoma Veliferum (Sailfin Tang). Of course you will need to research compatibility as you will not be able to keep more than one, or possibly 2 max from the ones mentioned above. (you do not want to mix two different sailfin tangs or two different Zebrasoma's as they will fight big time). irreguardless you will still have problems with ol yellow tail im afraid. good luck, happy fishin (oh and less i forget, if you go with tangs, they are susepticle to ick, so be aware of this down side).

I would not introduce a tang into a 30 gallon tank, the tank is too small for a tang. I would go with a lawnmower blenny, they are algae eating machines and have soooo much personality.

I do agree lawnmower blennies are algae eaters.I have a yellow tang in my my that has kept hair down to 0,but this my second one.The last one I had to exchange it for a smaller one do to its size.So if do get one(yellow or possible hippo) you will need to exchange it or upgrade to a larger setup.

thanks,for the ideas but for now i think im going to go with something that i dont have to exchange anything with its kinda hard to catch fish in a reef tank lol ,but im going to go with 3 scarlet hermits ,7 turbo snails ,13 dwarf red tip hermits , they have been in there for two days and i have to say they do the job better than i can and easyer on me and everything else .o yea and 1 emerald crab ,(got some dryed sea weed in case he starts nippin on soft corals ) seems to be doin great once again thanks . :bowdown: thanks, john for the ideas for the 55 gallon ill be shore to get a tang.

Back