Too many shrimp?

tonyg

Reefing newb
My peppermint shrimps died :( I did some major cleaning a few weeks ago, had to move around the rocks. I tried to be careful but one got beat up really bad and died about 2 weeks later. The other one disappeared all togother.

I want to get 2 new peppermints and a banded coral shrimp. Is this too much shrimp for my biocube 29? Can they all be added at the same time?

Thank You!

I have a peppermint shrimp and a skunk cleaner, and they do not get along lol I've heard not to keep different shrimps in such small tanks but I could be wrong.

I have a peppermint and a skunk together, they get along ok but if the skunk sees the peppermint he chases him under a rock. I just have to make sure i feed the skunk first or all hell breaks loose lol

Most shrimp will get along fine -- but the coral banded shrimp can be aggressive and may kill your other shrimp. They have also been known to kill fish. Instead of the CBS, go with a fire (blood) shrimp or skunk cleaner shrimp. That way you can have different types of shrimp in your tank.

Thanks so much for all of the good advice.

The fire shrimp is a great suggestion, Biff! Im going to try to find one of those along with another pair of peppermint shrimps.

Thanks again!

Just be careful with the peps. They have a tendency to go after corals if they get too hungry! Lots of folks here really don't like them because of that. For a while I was thinking about trapping mine and returning them to the store, but I got a couple more fish and a cleaner shrimp, and now the peps stay in hiding. They haven't bothered my corals a bit since the cleaners hit the tank!

Back