Too Many Sponges

Humuhumununu

Reefing newb
I have a 135 gallon tank with all the types of corals in it but I'm now strating to have large sponges popping up eveywhere. I know they're supposed to be beneficial but they look kind of like mold. I want to get a fish (not a ludibranch) that will eat the sponges but not hurt anythig else.

The only fish I know of that eat sponges are large angels...but they also eat corals. You can try manually removing them. Good luck.

.... I'm thinking that harvesting the sponges could actually be a beneficial process for the tank... am I on track here?

.... I'm thinking that harvesting the sponges could actually be a beneficial process for the tank... am I on track here?

Well,
Sponges are a natural filter thats actually great to have. They will take in excess nutrients along with small particles and convert them into the energy they ( sponges ) need to grow and sustain themselves. They don't store the nutrients like algae does.
So harvesting the sponges would more or less be counter-productive.

Well,
Sponges are a natural filter thats actually great to have. They will take in excess nutrients along with small particles and convert them into the energy they ( sponges ) need to grow and sustain themselves. They don't store the nutrients like algae does.
So harvesting the sponges would more or less be counter-productive.

Ah, now that was a good learn! thank you

Also keep in mind that there is one type of black sponge that will fire you up if you break a piece off. I'm not sure of the name of it, but it's black and grows kinda like a tree's roots. Break a piece off and it's like sticking your arm into a fire.

Back