Too many tests

scu95821

Reefing newb
What tests do I need actually need to do.
and
which ones should I do but the world won't end if I dont.

This like any other hobby can get carried away. I have found tests for everything on the internet but what do I really need to do to keep everything running good.

I have a 55 gal I plan on 4-6 fish, a CUC and some day an anemone. Then a really big tank when I know what I'm doing.

I have API

I am looking into an electronic tester only becasue I am lazy and spend a great deal of time on the raod for work and don't want to do a bunch of tests whenI am home. Problem is I'm cheap too.

The only ones you'll need right now are: pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will, of course, need a thermometer and refractometer or hydrometer as well (those aren't really test kits).

Down the road when you start adding corals, you can get a calcium test. But those 5 above are the most basic and important ones.

Instead of messing around with a PH kit,invest in a PH monitor.It'll make life a whole easier when keeping track on that one.
I'd also add a magnesium kit to the list Biff posted.

And then once the tank is going strong, Calcium Alk & Magnesium are the 3 you really need to keep on top of. The others usually don't fluctuate much unless you change something so you can test for those less often if you are lazy like me. :D

Back