Too much Ca

Jimboaf

We can build it
Ok so I have had my tank up and running for about two months now and I have started to add some corals. I just bought a bunch of new test kits to test for Cal and KH. I tested last night and this is what I got:

Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm
:death: Cal - 600 ppm :death:
KH - 143 ppm or 8 dKH
pH - 8.0
Salinity - 1.023

Everything seems to be fine except for the Ca, I know that is high but everything in the tank seems to be doing great, and all the other levels are perfect. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you are following the directions exactly. The calcium tests are a pain, especially API. If you aren't dosing anything and only doing water changes, it probably isn't really that high. What kind of salt mix are you using?

What are you using to test your salinity? If everything looks fine in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would run that test a few more times and maybe get a different calcium test to compare with. Will your LFS test your water for you? Mine will only test for the basics.

+1 on verifying with another test kit... I'm using IO salt and my Calcium is at around 330. I've ran the (red sea) test about 8 times over the course of the last few days so I'm going to pick up a different test kit this weekend to see if it's really that low.

Back