Too much flow?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Is it possible to have too much flow inside the main display?

My 46g has over 3000 gph of flow inside the tank from powerheads. I'm wondering if this is too turbulent for the fish for such a small space. The reason this dawned on me is because i put that Foxface in yesterday and he's been hiding in the rock work. Not uncommon for a newbie fish. But when I put my reef keeper lite on standby mode which turns off my Tunze and my K2, he finally came out. Then when it all started back up he went back into hiding.

I have two Koralia 2's, two Koralia 1's and a Tunze 6045 which puts out a tremendous 1189 gph on it's own.

If you had this arsenal of power heads, which would you choose to run (if not all of them) and where would you place/point them in the tank?

I'd have your 2's aimed at the front, 1's aimed up from the bottom and you tunze aimed across your tank. However, that's just me. Do you have any returns from a sump?

I'll answer the question with a question.
Is your sand staying on the bottom?If the answer is yes,then you don't have too much flow.
It may take the fox face some time to adjust to your flow conditions though.Remember he's been in bags with no flow what so ever,and low flow tanks at the LFS.So it would stand to reason then he needs to adjust to your flow.

Do you have any returns from a sump?

Yup, I have two returns pointed from the center rear (either side of the overflow) towards the front corners. They are flex tubing so I had them kinda pointed down a bit, but now i have them pointed pretty much level with the water to ripple the surface a little.

I'll answer the question with a question.
Is your sand staying on the bottom?

Yes, mostly. There is some sand movement, but very very little. The only exposed sand i have is a strip across the front and the very sides. Most of my powerheads are up high, pointed across or diagonally down.

Foxface in a 46g? Ugghhhhhhh

Hell ya. That bitch has a job to do (eat my algae) and in this economy should be glad he HAS a job!

Looks like I got a slacker though. He's been under the same damn rock since he went into the tank over 2 days ago. 70g minimum my ass! :grumble:

Back