Too much foam

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I just got my Bubble Magus yesterday. Hooked it up and it's getting so much foam, it's lifting the lid up and the foam is going into the water. Tried to adjust the water output tube, no luck. Any ideas ? Or does it take time to adjust itself ?

I put TLC for saltwater aquariums, when we set it up a month ago. But, have done water changes since then. Also use chlorine remover when I do water changes.

It's the chlorine remover. Protein skimmers won't work if you use tap water dechlorinator. You should switch to RODI water. You can get it at Walmart, the grocery store, and fish stores.

It will definitely help to do a water change. I don't recommend changing it all out at once, you'll shock the system. Just start doing 10 to 20% water changes once or twice a week, and as the dechlorinator gets diluted out, the skimmer will start working.

I have been making my own water at the house and using Tamsco Zip drops. My LFS uses it also. It is not messing up my skimmer (like when I used the stresszyme). All in all I know it is better to use RODI water, but for those of us not quite ready to make the adjustment this has been working just great for me.

never use tap water for marine aquariums its a complete no no always use ro water a unit can be bought for about £70 here in the uk for a three stage filteration no phosphates no nitrates and no other nasties all removed when using ro water do you have problems with algea???

When I had the 46 gal. I had a little algae. Not too bad. I just transferred the 46 to the 90 gal. about a month ago.

It is the dechlorinator that my LFS uses. It is in a red and white bottle. $10 for the whole bottle. I use 1 tsp for 5gallons of water. Eventually I will switch to RODI water but for now it is working great. I just wipe my glass every couple of days and the rest of the tank looks great.

never use tap water for marine aquariums its a complete no no always use ro water a unit can be bought for about £70 here in the uk for a three stage filteration no phosphates no nitrates and no other nasties all removed when using ro water do you have problems with algea???

ck- Is that one sentence? You get the prize for so many thoughts in the smallest amount of space, for sure!!! :mrgreen::bounce::mrgreen:

Well, we took the skimmer and set it in the tub of just salt water with no conditioner or anything in it, and it still foams over. Any other ideas of what could cause this ?

I reread your first post. You just got this skimmer a couple days ago. It's still breaking in. It usually takes several weeks for new skimmers to start working. You have to let it break in.

Back