Too much light for my 90 gallon???

avery155

Reefing newb
I am thinking about getting a Nova Extreme 8x54 watt 48" Light for my 90 gallon. This light only has one reflector, not individual reflectors. It has 4 10k bulbs and 4 antic bulbs. Also it has the moon lights. I can probably get it for a really really great price. This should not be too much light for my tank right? I do not know what types of corals that I want to keep but with this could I keep the lower light "beginner" corals such as mushrooms and zoas near the bottom of my tank and once I master that I could keep the more light demanding corals up top right?

My next question is, to simulate dawn and dusk having the four antic bulbs turning on at once is probably going to be bright, will this be too harsh for everything in my tank? I am starting to get excited about this because once I get my lights I can order some dry rock, and some live rock and get my tank on its way through its cycle!

Thanks!

is there such a thing as to much? These will be fine, and since you most likely be able to adjust the height you should not have to many worries, I would get a double check from the more experienced though.

That is nowhere near too much light for a 90 gallon tank. You could keep anything you wanted under that light.

It's not too harsh to have the actinics turned on at once. There are very few lights available that use dimming technology. Most people turn their actinics on one hour before the daylights, and leave them on for one hour afterwards.

+1 for all the above. I have 4 T5 Actinics that turn on an hour and a half before my MH. They stay on for an hour after the MH goes off. You're good to go with that light.

If jets are not trying to taxi into your house or if the fish aren't wearing sun glasses you are okay. But yes that is not too much. I ran half of that on my 55 and had no problems!

Ok. So my deal with the nova extreme fell through. So now I am thinking about getting the new aquaticlife 6x54 with built in moon light and timers. Since this light has individual reflectors will I still be able to keep the same types of corals as the 8x54 since it only ha one big reflector? If I can I will be ordering the aquaticlife 6x54 tomorrow!!

Thanks!

Ok. So my deal with the nova extreme fell through. So now I am thinking about getting the new aquaticlife 6x54 with built in moon light and timers. Since this light has individual reflectors will I still be able to keep the same types of corals as the 8x54 since it only ha one big reflector? If I can I will be ordering the aquaticlife 6x54 tomorrow!!

Thanks!

Even better then the Extremes although it has two less bulbs.Individual relectors is the most important feature,IMO.

Get something with individuals this way that fixture can be used again on a larger tank since it will have more output. I ended up getting a 6x54 Sunpower.

Well my AquaticLife 6x54 with moon lights, and built in timer is ordered! The light should be ready for pick up in about 7 to 10 days. The light does have individual reflectors, so it should be perfect for my set up. I also bought some sand, heater, and my test kit. I will be able to update my tank build thread soon.

Oh and I forgot I also ordered 50lb of dry rock from Marco Rocks!

Back