Too much water movement?

adampw

Reefing newb
I have a 29g with 30lbs of live rock. Currently I have a 275gph and a 170gph power head in my tank, so the water is moving pretty quickly. I noticed my clown gets moved across the tank by the current whenever he gets into it, and he gets moved pretty fast. Is this ok, or should I adjust the 270gph down? I also have a crab and a blenny in there. The crab is pretty small as well.

as long as your flow is more aimed toward the top your fine my clowns will ride the flow for fun they get into the path are moved across the tank will go between the two powerheads and do it again she does it for hours.

Flow sounds good to me, just make sure the surface of the water is moving to get good air mixture in your water.

well you would think if she wasnt she would not do it time and time again that or much like her owner she could be mentally challenged either way she does it just the same.

At that rate you only have about 14.5 times turnover an hour. A good rule of thumb for a healthy reef system is to strive for somewhere around 20-25 times turnover. Depending on the inhabitants closer to 50+ might be neccessary.

The key is to increase flow not velocity.... Look at pumps SEIO or TUNZE. or aim your powerheads at the glass. You can also cut the spout off this will help make the water pattern bigger, decreasing the velocity..... think of a sawed of shot gun.

Hope this makes sense, but by no means is 14.5 times turnover to much flow. The key is high flow low velocity....

Happy reefing.

Back