Too sick. & thin to ignore !

Lesely

Reefing newb
This is the powder blue we spotted 2 weeks ago in a shop. Didn't want to impulse but so left that day. Went today to see if still there and couldn't believe the deterioration in his condition over a 2 week period ! I know it's against some peoples advice but I couldn't leave him there with no chance of a good life. We took him home ! He has been in our tank for about. 4 hours now , hasn't been beaten up by anyone yet , has eaten and is actively swimming in a large tank now (such a small tank lfs ). We are hoping he will fatten up and fit right in and flourish ??
image.jpg

He needs some food! I grow dragons breathe for my 1 tang. I sing the cookie monster song when I feed him.
Just be careful it isn't a parasite, 2 weeks is fast to get that thin even for a tang. You should step up your feeding for him.

Do I see some white spots on it or is that on your glass?
Yes. He has a few white spots. That was a given with powder blues. & I knew that. We have been through that once before and was prepared to take the risk again to save this beautiful fish. We will find out if what they say is true about the other fish having a slight immunity to ich once they have had it. I am not panicked about it Took the risk but knew that's what we were doing ! Ready for the lecture now. !!! Urghhh !

He needs some food! I grow dragons breathe for my 1 tang. I sing the cookie monster song when I feed him.
Just be careful it isn't a parasite, 2 weeks is fast to get that thin even for a tang. You should step up your feeding for him.
he was thin. 2 weeks ago that's why we didn't buy him then. But worse now that's why I had to buy him. Lfs said he feeds but only cheap arse flake and nothing else. Tangs can't survive on flake alone He is getting all the good stuff now with a huge variety so I am praying he gets healthy. !
o

No lecture, anything with the name 'powder' has ich. It won't spread, he just needs some attention. It's a upward battle now with ich and being skinny.
Is there anything we can do besides good quality food often. Pristine stable water. Don't think his new tank mates are stressing him out to much. In fact everyone has only flared fins at him no one has actually slapped ! It's been a rather smooth introduction compared to some we have had !

Nothing really. If the ich gets worse a fresh water dip the fish as a last resort.
It is going to take months of better diet to see results in the malnutrition, if it's not a parasite, and the ich issue will get better with being comfortable in your system. Watch the amount of ich, if it goes more than 50 percent, I would personally dip. These little buggers are rough to keep, but rewarding with time.

image.jpg
LOTS and LOTS of green stuff is what he needs.
Doing a lot better today. Very active. Ate 4 x yesterday. White spot about half what they were 48 hrs ago. No one picking in him Very happy with progress so far. Has learnt very quickly that other fish gathering & excited mean food. This picture is him joining the others just before his last feed last night. A good sign I reckon ?

Yes it is. People worry WAY too much about ich in a reef tank. If your tank is healthy, they are just another food source for filtre feeders. ;) Oodinium on the other hand means is cause for panic.

Well. I appreciate the info. Love to learn. But we took that chance and knew full well we wouldn't be able to escape it So too late now. Might be kicking myself later or might have saved a gorgeous fish from dying a horrid lonely death. We will wait and see I have to think positive for now. !!!

Back