Too sick. & thin to ignore !

Isn't oodinium a form of 'ich' too? Just sayin.
Yes it is, but I don't even get upset at good ole ich. After my run in with what the wholesalers are calling "Red Sea Ich" ,which is a particularly virulent type of oodinium, I examine fish to the 9th degree. Anything arriving from overseas gets it's own system for 3 weeks minimum. Now if we could just stop the cyanide collecting, we'd be in high cotton. I lost the last Rolland's damsel last Saturday, liver was destroyed from that shit! :mad:

Yes it is, but I don't even get upset at good ole ich. After my run in with what the wholesalers are calling "Red Sea Ich" ,which is a particularly virulent type of oodinium, I examine fish to the 9th degree. Anything arriving from overseas gets it's own system for 3 weeks minimum. Now if we could just stop the cyanide collecting, we'd be in high cotton. I lost the last Rolland's damsel last Saturday, liver was destroyed from that shit! :mad:
How can u pick a fish that's has been caught that way. Is there any signs or obvious observations we can make as a consumer ?

I would make sure that tang gas access to seaweed all the time. Clean water and lots and lots of green will help

As far as cyanide collection, it's used with some fish more than others, and in some locations more than others. The only symptom I am aware of is super bright coloration in the fish

Only problem being that he hasn't worked out the seaweed clip yet (or maybe not courageous) enough to get there. We have been hand feeding him broken up seaweed instead, But we have 5 other tangs that are fat enough already, so hand feeding it is going to stay.
But thanks for the advice appreciate it a lot.
Very interesting about the color thing, I bought a lipsitck tang that had amazing color he was super bright and about 6 weeks after getting him he just up and died for no reason at all, i suspected incorrect collection but wasn't sure

There really is no outward way to tell if a fish has been caught with cyanide. The bright colours thing I think is urban legend. If you look at their gills, they're usually a bright red to pink. Stay away from that fish. I still have privileges at a large university so I can use their equipment for testing. The ONLY true way is to test the liver for cyanide metabolites. The pisser is, that pair of Rolland's spawned 3 times. Live and learn, I now rarely buy fish out of Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but The Philippines are MUCH higher quality than those 2 countries.

There really is no outward way to tell if a fish has been caught with cyanide. The bright colours thing I think is urban legend. If you look at their gills, they're usually a bright red to pink. Stay away from that fish. I still have privileges at a large university so I can use their equipment for testing. The ONLY true way is to test the liver for cyanide metabolites. The pisser is, that pair of Rolland's spawned 3 times. Live and learn, I now rarely buy fish out of Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but The Philippines are MUCH higher quality than those 2 countries.
Very informative. Thanks a lot. He has gained a little weight. You can see a very slight improvement in his sunken cheek bones. His ich has all but disappeared except on his side fins. But body is clear. His colour is still shitty. Being patient and crossing fingers ??

He may not have figured out that the seaweed on the clip is food. If hand feeding becomes problematic (or you just want some green in the tank all the time for him) you could also use a rubber band and attach seaweed to a rock. I have used that method in the past when keeping tangs that weren't comfortable taking seaweed off of a clip on the side of the tank

He may not have figured out that the seaweed on the clip is food. If hand feeding becomes problematic (or you just want some green in the tank all the time for him) you could also use a rubber band and attach seaweed to a rock. I have used that method in the past when keeping tangs that weren't comfortable taking seaweed off of a clip on the side of the tank
Thank you for that. I have also used that in the past with great success great idea. He has now started to wonder over to the seaweed clip and just hang underneath catching any small bit that falls off when being torn apart by tank mates that act more like piranhas (not sure of spelling but you get the idea ) lol.
I think he now knows what it is he has to just get the courage to mix it with 5 tangs and a cleaner wrasse who cant get enough of the stuff... lol

Here's another old trick of mine, you can also use this for African cichlids or any algae grazer. Take a piece of live rock and mix up some saltwater with REGULAR tap water, we want those phosphates, nitrates and other algae feeding compounds for this exercise. Place it in a sunny window for a few days and let the algae grow. Take one rock out at a time, feed until cleaned, then return to vessel for recharging. Wash, rinse repeat. This works exceedingly well for Tropheus cichlids.

Here's another old trick of mine, you can also use this for African cichlids or any algae grazer. Take a piece of live rock and mix up some saltwater with REGULAR tap water, we want those phosphates, nitrates and other algae feeding compounds for this exercise. Place it in a sunny window for a few days and let the algae grow. Take one rock out at a time, feed until cleaned, then return to vessel for recharging. Wash, rinse repeat. This works exceedingly well for Tropheus cichlids.
Brilliant. Will do. Thanks for that info !!

How can u pick a fish that's has been caught that way. Is there any signs or obvious observations we can make as a consumer ?
to minimize risk it would be best to buy from a seller that will quarantine the fish for you and better yet conduct prophylaxis on a specimen like the para/acantharus species where we find some of these maladies so prevalent. there are more and more sellers coming forward with wonderful transparency for their quarantine protocols for fish and coral. i commend you on your efforts and rescue. bringing home a specimen especially one that is showing symptoms of disease and adding to your tank is a huge risk. a quarantine tank/tub where it does not need to compete for food, can be treated if necessary, avoids dealing with tank-mates (thankfully he gets along great with the other zebrasomas) or a pecking order, and is more easily monitored is ideal. i wish you best of luck with it and will be sure to follow along!

to minimize risk it would be best to buy from a seller that will quarantine the fish for you and better yet conduct prophylaxis on a specimen like the para/acantharus species where we find some of these maladies so prevalent. there are more and more sellers coming forward with wonderful transparency for their quarantine protocols for fish and coral. i commend you on your efforts and rescue. bringing home a specimen especially one that is showing symptoms of disease and adding to your tank is a huge risk. a quarantine tank/tub where it does not need to compete for food, can be treated if necessary, avoids dealing with tank-mates (thankfully he gets along great with the other zebrasomas) or a pecking order, and is more easily monitored is ideal. i wish you best of luck with it and will be sure to follow along!
This particular PB had been int he shop tank for approx 5 weeks, We had seen him on 2 other occasions and each time he was looking worse and worse. The ich was coming and going but the lack of nutrition and suitable tank mates was not helping him. Thats why we decided to bring him home. He was in a 4foot tank with yellow tang 2 x hippo tangs and 2 x other powder blues. The shop was only feeding flake foods once every couple of days. I honestly believe that if we hadn't taken him he would have died. So to be perfectly honest we were not worried about any other type of disease (5weeks in LFS) the only thing we were concerned about was the ICH, but as we have had ich in the tank previously we already had it
Any way so far so good, he is doing very well indeed and we are lucky to have such a beautiful fish to look after.
We may have just been lucky. thanks

Back