Too strong of lights for a nanocube?

laura-jean

friend to the fish
I'm having an engineer friend of mine make me a new hood for my 28g jbj nanocube.

Is there such a thing as having TOO strong of lights?

We're looking at about 150 watts total. Let me know what you think! :)

+1 Marcah...also, with that much lighting in that small closed area, make sure you have good ventilation, and possibly a built in fan in the hood to help remove the heat.

LEDs.

I haven't even heard of acclimating the corals to the light but that makes a lot of sense. how would you go about doing that???

Essentially we're making something very much like this

Innovative Marine

But it will go inside my current hood that came with the nanocube, have 150 watts instead of 95.

He builds robots and cars and stuff like that so he said it's relatively simple and buying one for upwards of $400 is completely ridiculous.

He builds robots and cars and stuff like that so he said it's relatively simple and buying one for upwards of $400 is completely ridiculous.

Rapid LED was doing the kits for about 225 complete with drivers, fans, and bulbs. I am getting ready to take the JBJ 24 hood into them to be fit with a heat sink and do the same thing.

LEDs.

I haven't even heard of acclimating the corals to the light but that makes a lot of sense. how would you go about doing that???

Cool, LED will cut down on heat.

For acclimating, run the lights at a much lower amount of time per day than normal. Slowly increase the time over a couple weeks or so until you are back up to your normal times.

Back