Top off water

dshouppe

Reefing newb
I have been topping off my 30 gal tank each night with @ 1/2 gallon of ro/di from my lfs. The top off water ph is 7.5 my tank runs 8.0 ph. I been trying to raise the tank ph to 8.2/8.3 and I just realize that the top off may keep me from doing this. Should I buffer the top off to a 8.2 or leave as is.

Tank does not have a top and I use a power compact light. Tank is 9 months old. I do a 5 gallon water change each week.
Thanks

Couple things...

Is your alkalinity at the correct levels?

Another Test.

Take a couple glasses of your tank water outside and pump use an air pump to airrate it really well for about 10 to 15 minutes. Test the PH before and After and see if it goes up. If it does this tells you that you have a high level of CO2 in your water.

RO water should have a PH of 7, but either way you shouldn't need to buffer it for top off water. However, for large waterchanges with RO water depending on the salt mix you use you might need to use a buffer.

Let us know the results of the above and we can make suggestions from there.

BV

Please don't add anything to your top off water. That, in itself, could cause more issues than a slightly low Ph. Try what has been suggested, but you need to focus on fixing the tank Ph. Buy a test kit, if you don't have one, for calcium and alkalinity. Those two along with proper oxygen levels are key for stable Ph. Do you have a sand bed? If so what type? Crushed coral, sand? I am sure more questions will come. I hope you found this helpful.

Back