top offs

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So how much water do you guys add to your tank/day to keep it topped off? (w/out auto top offs) I've been adding 1 1/2 gallons! My RO/DI process is almost 24/7 to keep up...

More excuse to make a sump with auto top of

summers about 1-1.5 gals a day. Right now during winter probably 1-2 gals per week. I love this hobby during winter, soooo much easier to deal with.

I think the colder it's got here, the more I've been adding....I think it's the heating effect drying out the air. I need to install my RODI on an auto top off under the sink somehow.

i haven't topped off for 2 days now...i top off twice a week during winter. The water level doesnt change for me drastically in a day or two...at least it hasnt for the last month or so since winter has been around here in S. cali

Im going to enjoy this winter as much as i can.

Doing 5 gallons a day, how do you keep up with it RO wise?

And for those of you who do use RO without having well water, is your water bill huge? I'm looking at buying a home soon and I can't imagine what the water bill would be using ro all the time, since a big portion of it goes down the drain. (I currently have well water)

I have a 100 gallon per day RODI unit. I fill a 35 gallon jug once a week. Couldn't tell you about my bill -- the homeowner's association pays my water :)

i dont own a ro unit. I just haul four 5-gal jugs once a week. total cost $4 per week. Pros: stronger arms and sexier upper body :). Cons: no one cares I have to make the effor to buy water when i feel lazy. LOL JK

Last edited:
Hmmmm....my biggest issue is my apt has 2 sinks; 1 in the kitchen and one in the basement. It takes me about 3 hours to do 4 gallons, so I'm always using up a faucet, and my girlfriend HATES it! THe under the sink float option is def a project for me.

i use about 5 gal a day so i hooked my sump up to the pressure tank and now as soon as te water level drops it gets filled i also have a 64 gal trashcan that is full of water for water changes.

We tapped into our pipes in the utility closet in the basement and routed a pipe for our rodi. I have a small one. only does 35gpd. I keep a 25 gallon rubbermaid tub full.

I was having to top of just 1/2-1 gallon /day, but we've just cut up some acrylic to form a cover in the sump, and now, I'm guessing I'll be doing top offs at 1-2 gallon/week. I guess my lack of evaporation is also since I don't have mh lights, I have my main tank covered 90% with glass, then the light just sitting on top. So less chance of evaporation

I time my rodi refill to coincide w/ water changes - fridays, I'll fill up the rubbermaid, by saturday, it'll be full, so I'll stick the heater and powerhead in it, then by sunday, the water is perfect temp and I can do water changes. When I'm done, I usually have enough left to do top offs. and emergency water changes for the week. Otherwise, if I run out, I'll have to wait a whole day before I have enough to do a massive change in emerbencies.

I top off 2-4 gallons a day, when it gets really hot or cold out I have to use more never more that 5gpd. I always keep two 42gallon Brute trashcans in the basement, one fresh on salty.

Yeah, I had acrylic tops but it kept getting covered in salt and I was afraid of it inhibiting the growth of the coral. 2 42 gallons of water, that's impressive! I keep 2 5 gallons full as much as possible along with several 1 gallon jugs.

I'm going to try to get a few 15 gallon drums or something to fill up so I can let it go overnight without overflowing all over my floor!

Back