Topoff during cycle

T Fades

Reefing newb
Hi All,

Have a couple questions:

First off, where I currently am in the cycle: 4 days ago I started my 28g nanocube by putting 25 lbs of LS, ~28 lbs of LR (not sure if it is cured), filling with water from the LFS, started the pumps, heater, took out the ceramic rings (but left the carbon and filter pad).

Now to my questions:

1) During the cycle, I assume I will need to topoff the tank to avoid high levels of evaporation. Is it okay to topoff during the cycle?

2) Regarding the water I would use to topoff, I have a leftover bucket of water from the LFS when I filled the tank 4 days ago. This bucket (filled with water) is sitting in the cold garage (with no heater or pumps) with a large piece of LR I could not get to fit in the tank. Is it okay to use this water to topoff? There is nothing in the tank except LR and LS, do I still need to raise the temp of the water in the bucket, or is it okay to topoff using the cold water?

Thanks.

Yes, top off your tank during the cycle. Use freshwater only, not salt.

Since there is no livestock in the tank, you can use cold water to top it off. I don't think it will make a big difference since you are only topping off a small amount.

I have the same tank, and am pretty much in the same position you are at, jw why you took your ceramic rings out? I also have 5g bucket of salt water left over, its just sitting in my house, should i keep it?

id but the ceramic rings back in those are there so bacteria has extra places to build up and you never really need to replace them

Hi All,

This bucket (filled with water) is sitting in the cold garage (with no heater or pumps) with a large piece of LR I could not get to fit in the tank. Is it okay to use this water to topoff? There is nothing in the tank except LR and LS, do I still need to raise the temp of the water in the bucket, or is it okay to topoff using the cold water?

No, it's not ok to use this water, not because it's 'used' saltwater, but because it's *salt* water, and not *fresh* water.

You DO NOT top your tank off with saltwater. When the water from your tank evaporates, the salt is left behind. As the water evaporates, your salt content and levels go up. Topping off with fresh water brings it back down to where it started. It's also important to keep your tank topped off. Let it evaporate too much and the salt level will rise to a level harmful to your animals. Consequently, letting too much water evaporate, and then topping it off will swing the salt level too fast, and that's not good either; you want to keep everything as stable as possible.

Always keep some fresh RODI water around. :Cheers:

As far as topping off with cold water, at the minimum you want it room temperature (assuming your room is 70 ish.) It's best to put the water in a bucket and throw a heater in there.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Have a couple questions:

First off, where I currently am in the cycle: 4 days ago I started my 28g nanocube by putting 25 lbs of LS, ~28 lbs of LR (not sure if it is cured), filling with water from the LFS, started the pumps, heater, took out the ceramic rings (but left the carbon and filter pad).

Now to my questions:

1) During the cycle, I assume I will need to topoff the tank to avoid high levels of evaporation. Is it okay to topoff during the cycle?

2) Regarding the water I would use to topoff, I have a leftover bucket of water from the LFS when I filled the tank 4 days ago. This bucket (filled with water) is sitting in the cold garage (with no heater or pumps) with a large piece of LR I could not get to fit in the tank. Is it okay to use this water to topoff? There is nothing in the tank except LR and LS, do I still need to raise the temp of the water in the bucket, or is it okay to topoff using the cold water?

Thanks.

One thing that most do who have this tank is to remove the filterpad and use filter floss in the top chamber of the media basket. In the other chambers the put in either chaeto in the middle or use a combination of chemi-pure elite, phosban and purigen. The reason for the removal of the filter pad is because it becomes a nitrate factory very quickly. Filter floss is cheap and easily changed.

depending on where you live I'm not sure if its all the same but you can get 1g jugs for like $1.00+ at places like kmat or walmart. I got 2.3 of distilled at Petsmart for close to $6.00. Then at my LFS they have 5G for $10.00. So I'd say got for your water at your LFS I'd trust theirs over the latter of them all...

And you can get it for $.37 a gallon at Walmart. Well at our Walmart you can and the maintenance schedule says that take care of the machine once a month.

"depending on where you live I'm not sure if its all the same" theirs the clincher right there lol..... every where is different. I have not found it any where by where I live for under $1.00 a gallon. Part of the reason I'm saving for my own RODI. Not every where is the same and for NYS things suck every thing has jumped up greatly in price. Hell I can go to this marine fish shop in mas 2hours from me and get it for .45 a gallon and fish are 5-10 bucks cheaper. But that's a hall and not worth the gas. As for my LFS the only deals i see are from local breeders and fraggers that sell out of the shop. grrrr

Thx for the replies everybody.

Another question, since I have LR in the tank, should I still add an uncooked shrimp to assist in the cycle process?

I know I should be testing the water daily to see if Ammonia and Nitrite are rising, which will eventually fall, then Nitrate should rise to about 5-10.

Thx again.

i know this isnt the best but i dont even bother testing while i cycle a tank i know stuff happening and i figure itll be done when its done, now i do test before i add fish, and coral but never really during the cycle itself

Back