Torch Suddenly Getting Longer

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My torch's tentacles have been the same for a year or more. After I glued him atop a tripod shaped piece of old rock and put him above the sand, his tentacles started growing longer and longer. Is there a connection?

torch.jpg

sen, isnt that a hammer?

Hammers tenticles get get extremely long for no reason, thats just how they are. They are probably sweeping for food .

I'm sorry, but can you post a larger picture? I can't quite see what you are talking about. :mrgreen:

Brian is right -- those are sweeping/stinging tentacles. It senses another coral it doesn't like, and it's trying to sting it.

I'm sorry, but can you post a larger picture? I can't quite see what you are talking about. :mrgreen:

Brian is right -- those are sweeping/stinging tentacles. It senses another coral it doesn't like, and it's trying to sting it.

Good call. I'll try to get a bigger pic. :D

Seriously how can it sense a coral it can't touch? I never heard that.

I don't know. But one of my hammers developed stinging tentacles like that and goes after some nearby acans relentlessly.

They can sense other corals, +1 biff....its part of their warfare sense. Id move it before it stings the shyt outa your acans.

When i moved my chalice the first time i had it by my acans, the sweeper tenticals on my chalice grew at least 5 inches and was just about to sting it. Needless to say i moved the chalice.

Kinda off topic here, sorry, anyway I read hammer corals can have a toxin in them that is harmful to humans. Has anyone every had problems or do you just always wear gloves when you handle them?

Never heard about that nana. Ive never used a glove for handling stuff in my tank. Both my hammers tenticals stick to my skin when I make contact with them tho.

I was researching hammers (gonna be my next coral) and one of the sites had that as a caution. Only saw it though on one site.

I can imagine them being able to sting and hurt, they are one of the strongest corals you can get. I had an anemone that was stung to death by my hammer... poor thing.

But they are not toxic, Also, handling things in your tank isnt an issue except with zoas.

Much like a bee sting if you are allergic, all euphyllia & caryophllia are top tier stingers and very aggressive they smell" other corals and will go after competitors
seem to have a thing for favites, never under estimate there reach! a large anchor/hammer can extend sweepers out over 10" that goes for all the family-frogspawn/torch/elegance ect.

nanna, actually i have recently ahd a experience with being stung by a hammer. i fragged it off the mothercolont, and went to put it between a rock, and got stung. i was in great pain and my hand swelled up, and i vomited for about 4 days haha

Back