Total Devistation

Sara

Reefing newb
Well everyone,

I had to go to Canada for an allergy conference the end of last week. At that time we had a ridiculous heat wave. All I can say is have no chiller and when I got into Seattle yesterday afternoon, I called my mom who had been "taking care" of things for me while we were away and everything is dead. My fish, shrimp, feather dusters, corals, snails, all gone. I just started to cry in the middle of the terminal. Then to make matters worse I still had another flight and a 3 1/2 hour drive to get home. My ammonia last night was at 4.0. This morning after cleaning everything out as best I could was 2.0. Do you all think I should just "start over"? Or just keep doing water changes until things come back to normal? On the plus side I guess I don't have to try and catch my damsel to get them out before adding an angel.:censored:

That is awful...

so sorry to hear that. I would try to save what you can and invest in a chiller of some sort.
how many Fish / corals did you have ?

sorry to hear that been there and started over. Last summer in july big storms in st. louis area widespread power outages during 95 degree temps lost everything but my maroon clown. Had a 75 gallon setup now i've got a 125 gallon, 24 gallon nano, and 29 gallon setup. Everyone thought i was nuts starting back up but i work alot and have kids and this hobby is the only hobby i have time for and my kids love the tanks and everyone is always amazed my all the coral and clams and inverts, i like seeing everyone reactions to my tanks there not the greatest setups but are thriving very well. If i remember correctly i setup up new tank and used sand and live rock and half of water and used 50 percent new saltwater and started over.

If you lost EVERYTHING, as in nothing survived, then I'd just start over. If you have livestock that lived through it, then they have obviously proved themselves hardy and I would continue with water changes until you get your parameters back in check.

A few of my hermits are still alive, one of my clams that was in the rocks is still alive and that is it. Will the rock "come back" and how do you know if it was "killed"? Thanks everyone for the sympathy/empathy it helps to know that others have started over as well. I'll keep you all posted on my slow progress. I'll continue with water changes and we'll see what happens.

The rock will come back. You probably have more alive in there than you realize... Most hitch hikers on live rock can live through anything.

I would remove all the dead bodies you can find and then let it run until the ammonia and nitrite return back to zero.Then do a water change and restock your losses slowly.Sorry about your loss....good luck.

Hate to hear that Sara.
I'd say that 99.9% of the bugs and worms thats in your rock are still alive and kicking.Just let the tank re-cycle and slowly start stocking back.
Just how high did the temp in your tank get?
Next time your in wal-mart,pick yourself up one of those little clip on fans.Just clip it on the side of your tank so it blows across the surface of the water.You'b be surprised how well that works to keep tank temps down.

When I got home last night my temp was between 88 and 90 and who knows exactly how long it had been sitting there that hot. I have my lights on timers of course but with the house not being "opened up" to cool off at all after the days heat it was like a sauna in here I guess. My mom came over Sunday morning and found the carnage that was my tank. I got everything out that I could. I moved all my rock and vacuumed and cleaned my filters and everything after I got home. I'll just say it was a very late and "stinky" night. I was almost asleep last night and Tim told me he was sorry about the tank and I just started to cry again. I've been an emotional woman about all this and I hate being an emotional woman. Once again thanks everyone for the support, it's helping a lot even though I'm "new to the reef".

When I got home last night my temp was between 88 and 90 and who knows exactly how long it had been sitting there that hot. I have my lights on timers of course but with the house not being "opened up" to cool off at all after the days heat it was like a sauna in here I guess. My mom came over Sunday morning and found the carnage that was my tank. I got everything out that I could. I moved all my rock and vacuumed and cleaned my filters and everything after I got home. I'll just say it was a very late and "stinky" night. I was almost asleep last night and Tim told me he was sorry about the tank and I just started to cry again. I've been an emotional woman about all this and I hate being an emotional woman. Once again thanks everyone for the support, it's helping a lot even though I'm "new to the reef".

If you dont have A/C in your house,then check into getting a window unit for the room your tanks in.IMO That would be better than a chiller because even though a chiller is cooling your tank,its heating up the rest of the house.A little window unit will keep the house some what cooler.
And shoot,were all here to pick,poke,pluck,help,and support each other.I think that if any one of us had total tank cook like that,that we wouldnt be emotional,(bleep),and other wise in a bad mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do have a little window AC and ceiling fan and oscilating fans, but it gets ridiculously hot up stairs which is where the tank is. Thank God, it's not on the "hottest" wall in the house, I knew better than that. I think the initial shock has worn off now and people can mention it with out me getting the "Puss in Boots look on my face".

I think I would move the A/C unit up to where the tank is.
I dont care if me,the wife,and kids melt from the heat as long as my fish and corals are good and comfortable.

Back in 74 I had a fairly large anemone die on me and kill everything in the tank except a clown fish. I let the system cycle again and gave it some time and after water parameters settled down for a few weeks I restocked and had a great tank from that point on. so just let your system recycle and when the amonia is at 0 and nitrites are 0 check your nitrates and do a water change.

Back