Total newbie

axnst1

Reefing newb
Hi All,

I always had fresh water tanks when I was a kid and always wanted a salt water tank but could never afford it! So now, I am thinking about maybe building one and so I need to start thinking about what I would like to have and how much it would cost! I love the vegetation (what is the proper term?) just as much as the fish so I would really like a tank that has lots of colorful fish and vegetation! I really don't know where to even begin researching things! I know that the salt water eco system is super fragile and therefore, I’d rather spend a little extra money up front to make sure that the content of my tank stays alive! IDK, better filter, or tank, or lighting, or whatever! I'd like a large tank at least 40 gallons, but if I can't afford to do a large tank right, then I'd rather do a small tank (at least to start with/learn on)! I’d appreciate any advice! I am looking for advice/links on:

- Learning the basics (how do I not kill everything my tank)
- filtration system(s)
- Where to buy tank, filtration system, fish, vegetation, rocks, etc.
- Basically everything you wish you knew before you got your first tank!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :D

Hello and welcome!!

Cruise around the site and look at some of the member's build threads (tank showcase) to get some ideas. Also the stickies at the tops of each section are a great place to start researching.

Welcome to the site. Erin is just so darn helpful, just like everyone else on this site. Do not be afraid to ask questions as everyone is so polite.

Hello...Welcome to the site. There is some great information here to help you. The first bit of advice I will offer is, be patient...don't rush things...rushing will just cost you money in the long run

From my exp starting off with a "small" tank isn't a good idea, reason being is: it's quicker to crash a smaller tank than it is a bigger one meaning if something spikes in a smaller tank it will crash it faster than it would in a larger tank.
When I first got into saltwater I had a 55 gallon or what we people down in the south call a 55 long. I had that tank for about 5 years till it just got to dang expsitve to keep everything alive, but that was 8 or more years ago. I just got back into it and now have a 75 gal "reef ready" with sump and I love it!

If you are just getting into the hobby save a bit more and get I bigger tank.

What "That1fishguy' says is absolutely true. It is much harder to keep a small tank stable. People always say go as big as you can afford. Unfortunately, some people cannot afford a 75 gallon reef ready tank. I got into this reef recently and bought a little 10 gallon FOWLR and it is doing great now, for at least 6 months with no crashes. If you monitor everything carefully and stick to a scheduled water change every week, you can get any size you want and be successful.

Good luck

Back