Toxic Zoas

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Just stumbled across an old post where the toxicity of zoas was being discussed ... as it turns out a couple of days ago I was diagnosed with Iritis, which is a infection of the Iris. Although I do work in a hospital, I do remember placing the Zoas in my sump just before bedtime so my Koran would not finish them off during the night. They were very slimy, and I remember washing my hands as always, but then I took out my contacts. The next morning my eyes were a little red and scratchy, but by lunch they look like they had been bleeding and I had to leave work early to go to the eye doc. After looking up Iritis or Uveitis on line one of the causes is exposure to an unknown toxin. I'm now wondering if maybe some of the residue from the Zoas was still on my hands when I removed my contacts. Even the doc said it was unusual for both eyes to be infected at once. It was very painful and he dilated my eyes and put me on steroids for 14 days plus eye drops every 4 hours. Just thought I would pass this along, seems like a possibility the more I think about it.

Hope you get better soon and don't have any other ill effects. I read the old post a few days ago and it scared the heck out of me. I'll put you in my prayers for your eye infection to clear up soon.

That definitely sounds like a strange connection, although it would probably be impossible to say definitively what caused your eye infections. It's likely that the toxins in the zoa had something to do with it, and I'm glad your case is mild! Most zoas have very mild, if they have any, toxins. I hope you recover quickly, and I'm glad you went in for attention quickly!

Thought initially I had picked up something from the hospital 'cause I do have contact with patients that have some nasty stuff, but now I'm thinking maybe my hands still had something on them from the zoas,,,,,,thanks

Its entriely possible the Zoa residue got in your eyes. If you have ever handled chile peppers and then rubbed your eyes you would know this.

When handling Zoas, ALWAYS USE GLOVES!

Back