Tragic loss....rebuilding from the ground up

Blindloser1080

Reefing newb
Keeping a long story short, my room-mate was cooking with her new wok, heated it up too fast, put in oil which created a fire. She put in a bit of water to put the flame out, which caused smoke and the fire sprinklers to go off in our apartment. We had 2" of standing water in our living room, dining room, and kitchen. (Thanks for the b-day present roomie!):chair:

I had just setup my 38G literally 2 days before this, and had planned on buying my LR in 2 days :frustrat:. Then this happened.

I lost the stand, XP3, Prizm, heater, Nova Extreme T-5, everything due to water damage. The fire department told me not to use anything that was plugged into the surge protector :shocking:, so the insurance is re-imbursing me!

I am replacing the light most definately, and getting a new stand. Anything filtration wise you guys would recommend that isn't going to be too overkill for my 38G? (need new filtration, and skimmer) I liked my XP3, it has always worked well for me in the past.

Oh yea, my roomie HATED my Prizm, cause "it's too loud" even with the canopy on, so something quieter, possibly HOB would be great.

Also, is leaving my aquarium outside in the cold bad for the seals? I've heard that if it freezes, or gets really cold, the seals can crack and cause leaking. My 38G has been sitting outside for 2 weeks now, because we can't have anything on the carpets, and my room is already full of other items that were in the other rooms.

Last edited:
well if the insurance company is re-imbursing you then why not get the best of the best? i say octopus skimmer and some nova extreme pros or a better set of t-5's (cant think of any other names at the moment)

Might be a good time to look in setting up a sump.That way you dont have to deal with the maintance issues of the canister,plus you place the skimmer and heater in it.Therefore giving you more space in the tank for more important stuff.Like corals and fish.
Hate to hear about the bad luck too.

Sorry to hear about your awful luck! But at least you didn't have any animals in the tank -- that would have been really tragic.

I would say to still stick with T5s, those are going to be the best lights for your tank anyways. And go with an Octopus skimmer of the Prizm. Prizms aren't very good to begin with.

terrible news!!! sorry to hear about that. I would reccomend getting rid of the canister filter also. Go with a 10gal sump should work out well. plus who cares what your roomie thinks about noise of a skimmer! they have a fire starting wok. but prisms are not all that good anyways.

Back