transferring tanks assistance!

WHAT A NIGHT

So I did the tank transfer. Took me longer then expected but went resonably well. My only "hitch" came as I had water about an inch and a half high left in my old tank (very cloudy as you can imagine), something caught my eye in the back corner...baby fish! about 8 of them (who knows how many I siphoned into the new tank or didn't see in the murky water. Well, I have never had baby marine fish before...and really shouldn't have them now. I HAD a clown pair, about 2 months old. One was killed by my carpet anemone the other (female) is still here. I have a pair of Banggai cardinals, but Those are mouth brooders, and I have a pair of bartlett anthias, but I I haven't had them long and they are (I believe) hard to brred in aquariums. They must be baby clowns...or a LR I bought had eggs on it? (probably not, wouldn't survive the transfer I guess)
Anyway, I had no clue how to capture the small sperm-like fish, but managed to catch them in a bowl. It took me about an hour and a half. then I ran to the trusty 24-hour walmart (it's 2 am by this time) and got one of those betta kits you see. I poured the babies into the betta thing and set it in the back corner of my tank.
I woke this morning to NO babies (they must have swam out through the slots in the top of the container (i figured it would help for water circulation, and the babies I saw at the lfs stay at the bottom of the tank when they are that young) but there was one large amphipod looking pissed at not being abloe to get back out.:S

So, next I took inventory of my fish. All present and accounted for, swiming around, no signs of stress! Yay. But (because there is ALWAYS a but) both cleaner shrimp are dead- the baby one just laying on its side, probably stress and the larger one seems to have had its head pulled of. most likely post mortum but, who knows.
I guess the pistol shrimp lucked out and enjoyed a snack.
Again i say...what a night.

Its a lot of work when you go to moving to another tank.And you never know what your going to find.
Glad to hear you got it done though.

Oh, and my heater blew up. Frightened the crap out of me...they mean it when they say "do not operate uinless water is to this point"

Yeah heaters can be dangerous! Glad to hear that overall, things went well. Shrimp are especially delicate, and it's hard to avoid shocking/hurting them. Sorry that you lost them.

About the baby fish -- I've had a pair of fire fish reproduce before. But the babies got eaten.

I'm done! I'm done i'm done i'm done!!!:D:D
sorry, My 72 is now up and running nicely, and my 55 is running nicely and starting its cycle.
...Canopy tomorrow...gulp

100_7121.jpg

100_7119.jpg

100_7114.jpg

\A couple pictures of my new tank up and running...little cloudy still

Thanks, but it looks SO sparse now. It has 65lbs of live rock(i weighed it during the transfer 65.3lbs) but it looks empty to me....I will slowly get more. My LFS has really nice mushroom rock. 7- 10 lb pieces, I think I'll do that rather then just LR, I know it will be more expensive, but I will get a nicer look and I hopefully could just add them to the top of my pile as I get them instead of pulling it all apart to add a bunch at once.

That usually what happens when you move to a bigger tank.:D

lol I guess I should have expected it, but I figured since the dimensions were basicall the same, its just the bow section thats extra, It would look pretty well the same just with more space in front. I am shocked at how much more of a difference there is...don't get me wrong-it's a pleasant surprise.

Back