transffering tanks??

normanviking

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. I was just wondering what a preferred way to transfer all your live rock and coral from your established tank to a new tank? I am looking at getting a 180. I was just curious on what steps would be best. Thanks Dan

Basically mix up the new salt water and age it at least 24 to 72 hours, add to the new system, bring up to correct temp and keep it circulating with temp pumps if need be. treat your move as a large water change, add your substrate, rocks, corals etc and all the water form the 55, to the larger tank. turn all filters on and do not feed for couple days while the system settles in. bring lights up gradually over a week or two. no garuntees when you make a move hope something here helps.

I would just have two tanks for a few months untill the new one establishes and then transfer(just a opinion)at first transfer small amounts of live rock and sand gradually for those two months to help establish NEW TANK.

Dan, I have done this too many times to count based on moving every 2 years. The only valuable advice I can give you is to make sure the water is aged the 24-72 hours as stated previously- make sure the new tank is filled and pumps are operating efficiently.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE PREPARED- I would recommend having enough rubbermaid totes or garbage cans that are dedicated to your saltwater setup ready for use.

I personally put water from my existing tank into the totes and separated the live rock (into the garbage cans), corals, fish and inverts into their own rubbermaid totes/ containers during the shift from one tank to the next.

Upon adding the live rock / substrate to the new tank, you will of course need to remove some of the "new" water that is in the new tank. THIS IS THE WATER that I add to the coral, fish and inverts totes as kind of an acclimation technique to the new water they are about to enter.

By using this process- losses have not occured unless due to my stupidity (rock falling in the new tank / forgetting to protect the fish from new water intakes etc)

Best of luck-
Chris

Back