Trip to LFS yesterday got great buys!

shihtzu217

Reefing newb
I went to the LFS yesterday and got a very nice Lemnalia any advice or tips for me? I have him in the middle of my tank, so has good flow but not direct and in the center level also. I'll post pictures when he is "happy" . he perked up this morning but still all closed up. when closed he stands about 6" tall and about 6" wide great deal for $40. I also got an Allens Damsel, Mandarin and 4 bottles of Copepods. All for $100. :^:I'll try to get pictures tomarrow as the fish are still a little shy too.

I know, I know too soon for a Mandarin. I added a couple bottles of copepods about 6 weeks ago and I have tons right now and like I said I bought 4 bottles last night and have set up a cultivation tank for copepods for breeding/feeding . I found a new LFS a few weeks ago and he is awesome, great pricing and really helpful, we had talked about how much I wanted the Mandarin a couple weeks ago and yesterday he offered 4 bottles of copepods for $15 (retail $20 each) they have only 2 months left of their shelf life so he wanted to move them out.

I know we like pictures here, but I got excited and wanted to post:mrgreen: I'll get pictures as soon as everyone if feeling photogenic.

Excellent idea about the pod cultivation. Does the mandarin eat frozen food? If he does, that will make him a lot easier to care for also.

I had to google Lemnalia, I didn't recognize the name. Turns out it's a Kenya tree -- probably the BEST beginner coral out there! They will spread like crazy. Kinda cool at first, but when half of your tank has turned into a Kenya forest, you'll be pulling your hair out! Kenya trees will do well anywhere in the tank and don't need to be fed. Good choice for a coral.

Congrats Shihtzu,picks are mantory here.

Lemnalia are similar to Capnella(Kenya Tree) but they don't multiply and grow as fast.They aren't as resilient as Kenyas are either.I have two Neospongodes(Lemnalia),I don't feed them and they are growing but very slowly.

Okay, okay, here's the pic's but nobody's happy about it. lol

Didn't realize the Lemnalia was close to Kenya, bummer since I managed to kill of all my Kenya's! Don't ask, because I have no idea how.:confused: I'll do better with this one, all the water tests are still checking out.

First, hubby finally finished my canaopy so here's my completed set up.
clothing021.jpg

Lemnalia, standing but still not ready for pictures
clothing060.jpg

clothing046.jpg

Allen Damsel, this sucker is fast, hard to get photo, sorry it doesn't show his color better, just could not convince him to pose.
clothing051.jpg

clothing048.jpg

Mandarin, in Quarantine tank with TONS of Copepods to eat, he was not feeling photogenic either.
clothing058.jpg

I have 2 mandarins I bought 1 boy like it so much went back to get a girl stayed at the fish store for 45min. to make sure it was a girl all the other mandarin were putting up there dorsal fin everytime they went around another fish but not her so I got her we went home put her in my tank that night after I turned out the lights. I was so pleased BUT got up the next morning to find 2 boys they fight all the time can't catch them so I guess I will find one of them dead some day... but they will eat frozen food at lease one of them does for sure...

so far he isn't interested in frozen brine, but hoping someday he will be. In the meantime he will be well fed on copepods.
Good luck with catching yours.

The tank looks great Shihtzu.
If your mandrine isnt already eating frozen foods,then its a pretty good bet that it wont.Just keep an eye on him,and do your best to make sure you have enough bugs in your tank.

The Lemnalia was the first coral I've purchased...........he is still laying kinda limp but he opens up, is something wrong or is he just getting used to things still? If I lift his branches he will stand up for a while but he's still not looking Happy. I'm getting the book Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman for refernce but it hasn't come yet so please help me out

I'm not sure,mine goes limp and straighten right back up.Its been doing this for the last 5 months,hopefully yours is okay too.Maybe its just adjusting to its new condition.

here is current pic. I just moved him to a little different flow he has a bad spot where he connects to the rock, looks mushy and a branch fell off when i picked him up. should I take that branch out or leave it to see if it will grow?

clothing061.jpg

Back