Trouble Keeping Salinity Down

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Shep, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Shep

Shep

Hey

So no matter what I do it seems that my salinity always rises back up to the 1.-28-1.030 range. I do water changes weekly, usually changing out about 10% or so and within a day or two it is back up. I think it is maybe because I have a lot evaporation but that is only a guess. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it down?

Thanks!
    -Tom

Shep, Jul 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Shep

reefnoob

When you top off on evaporation do you use freshwater or saltwater?

reefnoob, Jul 29, 2013
    Shep likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Shep

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

There is no reason for your water to rise in salinity unless you are topping off with saltwater.

fastrd400, Jul 29, 2013
  4. Shep

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

Also, what are you using to measure your salinity?

FishyReef, Jul 29, 2013
  5. Shep

Sakura2282 Reef lover!!!

I will recommend you to use a refractometer to measure your salinity they are very accurate and easy to use. I bought my at BRS for a very good price that included the calibration fluid. And if you are using freshwater your salinity shouldn't be increasing. The only way it can is because some how you're adding more salt to it.

Make sure that when you do your water changes the salinity of the water is the same that in your tank, just to make sure it's OK.

If you have a lot evaporation in your tank just remember that you should put freshwater to compensate the loss of water, but do not add more salt because salt doesn't evaporate. It remains in the tank in a higher concentration because it has less water in it, so adding the freshwater will make it right again.

Good Luck! :)

Sakura2282, Jul 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question