Trouble With Button Pollops

bbobby041

Reefing newb
:frustrat:
I have button pollops that are dying. I do not know why.I am looking for pest, but several of the pollops are dead. As in starting to come apart. I don't want to throw the rock away because it has a xenia on it. Is there a way to remove the dead pollops without hurting the tank stablility? Or will they die out and filter through? (That seems impossible but just thought I would ask)

Thanks,

Casey Bolyard

Casey:

It depends. How big is your tank and how many polyps dying? Keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and keep the protein skimmer good and clean and you should be ok.

B

I would leave them in the tank. Do you have any snails or crabs? If so they'll take care of them. Button polyps dying won't cause as much of a disturbance as a fish would.

It is not unheard of for corals to dye and in 3 to 9 months for the coral to show up again sometimes in different parts of the tank, so, i agree just let it go and look closely for any pests, check water parameters as mentioned and keep filters and skimmer clean at least once a week. keep us posted.

main.php

The snail you have shown is a Architectonicid - Heliacus sp. --Sundial/ box snail. Preditory especially on zoanthids and are usually only discovered after they have eaten most of the colony that they were using for food and cover. remove all of this type you can find.

my experience with nudibranch eating zoa's was last year. i purchased some exotic zoa's from a LFS and those Zoa's caught my attention. iwhen i introduce it to my tank prior to having it for a couple of days i notice my zoo's are not opening. well i observe it more. and found out that these nudi's eats the enzyme protein in the zoa itself. it can change to the same coloration of the zoo.

treatment.

three things can be done to help prevent it. i talk to my LFS the help out great in killing these pest.

1st every time you recieve a coral or any coral. i recommend to to a dip. in Kent Marine Lugol Solution. in a 1 gal tub dip your coral in it and drop about 40 drops of lugol. 10 to 15 minutes.

after that 2nd step rinse it in a 1 gal R/O/D/I fresh water for about 5 minutes.
this should kill most of it. then return it back to the tank.

i succeeded in thriving solomon blue zoos and other rare corals. try it
this will help.

patient is the key
success is beuaty within.

just :helm2: watch for any zoos closing or just closed, watch for a string that is :bounce: carrying 40-45 sacs of eggs ready to lay em in the zoos :sfish: they will eat, but also :frustrat: thrive their families in each zoa. it doesnt matter how big your tank is what parameter your system is just be aware of what your looking for. their are more creatures in the sea that can destruct a reef eco system.

thanks me

also a pepermint shrimps will munch on polyps.Had remove a couple small Aptasia then move on to my yellow polps.I think a aquapod only has 64 watts of light.This could a big change to the lighting this coral had been acustom to.My 30 has 130 watts over it and my zoa and lps are doing good.

I have just found one of the snails you put a picture up. Is it possible that one ate almost my whole colony (9" X 4") Or should I look for more. Lots of "good" pests that are clear and like rolie polies...are these really good or is my LFS full of crap again. Thanks guys!

Back