Troubleshooting RO/DI

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
I have a BRS RO/DI that has mysteriously lost all pressure and will not produce. I have changed out all the filters, blocks, and the RO membrane, and still nothing. It's even worse than before! There is no change in the pressure of the water coming out of the faucet when the RO is disconnected. I'm really stumped. HALP!!!!

That is really odd. I would try contacting BRS for a solution. Wish I could help.

Just had a thought. Maybe one of the lines has gotten blocked somehow. Do you have any extra tubing that you could change them out?

You didn't accidentally open the bypass that flushes the RO membrane? If you did, all the water will be flowing over the membrane and not through it. It would be coming out of the waste line.

I'm thinking something is blocking one of the lines or ports. Try the whole assembly with no filters, membranes, or any guts... into a bucket.
1) If you do not get much water then you have a plugged port or passage way. You will have to find it by removing filter canisters one at a time, then bump the water on a second or two to see if each is getting water. Then when you find the right one use a pipe cleaner or something to unclog whatever port or line is clogged.
2) It you get plenty of water out into the bucket then back track and add one filter at a time starting with the settlement, micro, membrane and then DI.. (you get the order) ...see when the blockage occurs. Then replace that filter or put it back in the right direction....;) ....IF the RO membrane is messed up TRASH IT! do not try to use it... unless you want to kill your aquarium.

Last edited:
Shrink wrap was most DEFINITELY removed. I found the problem area though (or at least one of them). It is between the two carbon blocks. I ran the whole thing with no filters or membranes, and everything flowed well. Started adding things back, and there was a significant slowdown as soon as I added the first carbon block. I ordered 2 5 micron and 2 0.6 micron blocks from BRS, as switching the blocks used up my last ones that I had stored. Hopefully I just had a bad block, and the new one will fix the problem. If not, I'll report (and be calling BRS for help)!

Back