Trumpet Coral "Dead or Alive"

usmarine_0369

Reefing newb
I bought a trumpet coral on 9/20/13. The first night I observed its tentacles out looking for food. I have seen them each night maybe not as long as the first night but out some looking for food. I get up at least once a night sometimes twice. Bad habit from Marine Corps. Anyway it gives me an excuse to see what cool things go on when the lights go out. I have caught pods out running around at night which was cool. I have a 65 gl tank, about 40lbs of live rock, a algae blenny, orange-back fairy wrasse, some hermit crabs, two feather dusters, and some wild ones on my rock. I use reef salt and RO water, I do 30 % change monthly, 8% weekly. I have a Solor Max light system which has two T5's one deep blue dry like and one deep blue actinic. I do need to replace the bulbs they are going on there second year. Its on my list of things to do for Nov. Oh I have a Max-jet 600 power head also.

My water parameters stay about 8.3 PH, 255 Alkalinity, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, .026 Salinity, temp 76*. I have not started checking calcium, magnesium and other trace elements yet. Its also on my Nov list of upgrades. I have just been betting on my good water changes and salinity keeping the levels within good standings. As far as feeding my Trumpet I have target feed it Mysis shrimp. It loves it, it at least twice a week. I also have been adding Roti-feast to the mix as well. Reef solution is added every week also. The trumpet has some sprouts off the base that im guess is new growth, and has always looked full and fat during the day. But starting this weekend it started to look like an old man all wrinkly and boney. I target feed it again tonight to see if it responds. Do you guys think Im over reacting or is it having some trouble? I am pretty detailed about stuff I write everything down, and record everything about the tank and all the data. I built a spread sheet just to help me track stuff. So I cant see signs of trouble. I have attach a photo of what it looks like today after I feed it. Right side looks better now.
Trumpet Coral.jpg

You're right it definitely doesn't look good. Hope you can find what's wrong with it, before is too late. By the way I like the idea of the spread sheet.

Sometimes they close up like that for a day or two. If it goes beyond that I would start to worry. But with your bulbs being two years old I bet on them being to blame if they have shifted in wavelength your corals will be unhappy and start to decline.
How old are your test kits if they are close to their expiration date you could be getting false readings.

Thanks for the comments so far. I have a new test kit just bought it this month. So it should be giving me good readings. I think I am with you on my bulbs may look to be working but the light spectrum is off or intensity is not as good as it was. So I can either move the trumpet closer, or leave actinic light on at night but that might mess its night time feeding up. Bulbs are not cheap so not I'll have to see if the budget is there for replacements now versus Nov 1. Replacements would be the best option I think we will see. Do you guys think I have another option in the meantime? Oh if you like the spreadsheet tracker I don't mind sharing it. Its in word, you can change it to fit your tank. I can send it to you or if there is a spot on here to up load it I will share it with all the members as a tool. Other may have some more ideas to make it even better for bigger tanks and more complex systems.

I would try moving it up in the tank and see how it does. I know bulbs are very expensive. I don't know if there's a place to upload your spreadsheet you can check with @Ian

I will try moving it up. You think that would be the best thing to do first over leaving my light on longer or over night? Do I just send Ian a message directly or something. Im just joined this weekend so still getting my feet wet and looking around the site. So much info, and ideas. I really like the show case your tank spot, cause I want to go bigger at some point...lol

You're right it definitely doesn't look good. Hope you can find what's wrong with it, before is too late. By the way I like the idea of the spread sheet.

Thanks for your input . If you like the spreadsheet tracker I don't mind sharing it. Its in word, you can change it to fit your tank. I can send it to you or if there is a spot on here to up load it I will share it with all the members as a tool. Others may have some more ideas to make it even better for bigger tanks and more complex systems. If other people had time to look at it and help me tweek it would be perfect for those big complex systems.

Thanks for your input . If you like the spreadsheet tracker I don't mind sharing it. Its in word, you can change it to fit your tank. I can send it to you or if there is a spot on here to up load it I will share it with all the members as a tool. Others may have some more ideas to make it even better for bigger tanks and more complex systems. If other people had time to look at it and help me tweek it would be perfect for those big complex systems.
I'll send you a PM with my email address. Thanks for sharing it! :)

I will try moving it up. You think that would be the best thing to do first over leaving my light on longer or over night? Do I just send Ian a message directly or something. Im just joined this weekend so still getting my feet wet and looking around the site. So much info, and ideas. I really like the show case your tank spot, cause I want to go bigger at some point...lol
Yes I would just move it up and leave the photo period as is. And see if that helps

Yes I would just move it up and leave the photo period as is. And see if that helps

Thanks for the advice. I did move it up last night. The one side still looks better as it did respond a little with the target feeding and it was a little active feeding last night with some tentacle action, not much but some. But the left side is still hurting. It looks the same, tonight I switch to the actinic light and both center have a glowing ring reaction to the light so I am hoping that means that there is still some life left and with it a little closer it will help until I can get new bulbs in.

Well here is an update. Moving them closer is getting some response for the meantime. I plan on changing my bulbs tomorrow. That may be too late, but we will see. One side seems to still have some life left. They other is either dead or very close. I still have some new sprouts growing. So if I am able to keep one side alive, should I just leave the other alone and let it grow and ignore any parts that die off?

Well here is an update. Moving them closer is getting some response for the meantime. I plan on changing my bulbs tomorrow. That may be too late, but we will see. One side seems to still have some life left. They other is either dead or very close. I still have some new sprouts growing. So if I am able to keep one side alive, should I just leave the other alone and let it grow and ignore any parts that die off?
Yes the tissue may recover so donot remove any parts that you think May have died.

Yes the tissue may recover so donot remove any parts that you think May have died.

Cool thanks, I'm going to leave it be. I got new bulbs today. Going to watch the water closely and see if I can save the last piece of it. A buddy told me he adds a little purple up when he see a little decline in color. Says it helps and adds calcium.

I believe purple up does add calcium. I've only used it once many years ago in a FOWLR setup. With corals in your tank you would be better off with a two part supplement that also adds trace elements. What do you have for corals? If you only have a few LPS and or softies your water changes should be enough to replace any calcium your corals use. Also dosing things you don't test for is asking for trouble, if you are going to add calcium you need to test for it. If you raise the calcium to high you will mess up the balance of calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.

I believe purple up does add calcium. I've only used it once many years ago in a FOWLR setup. With corals in your tank you would be better off with a two part supplement that also adds trace elements. What do you have for corals? If you only have a few LPS and or softies your water changes should be enough to replace any calcium your corals use. Also dosing things you don't test for is asking for trouble, if you are going to add calcium you need to test for it. If you raise the calcium to high you will mess up the balance of calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.

I just have the trumpet coral, candy tree coral and a finger leather that's all. Just got the candy a buddy was giving it away. Its in great health. Glad I have new bulbs now for it. I think your right, need a test kit before I start messing with calcium, magnesium and stuff. I do good water changes weekly at least 5% to 8%.

Water changes are enough for you right now. Your on the right track just take your time and enjoy the ride. In this hobby only bad things happen fast.

Back