Trumpet Coral - New Head or a Parasite?

charlieB

Reefing newb
Noticed this little white tube looking thing growing on my trumpet coral today and wasn't sure if it's just branching another head or if this is a parasite. The coral received a Lugol's dip before it went into the tank, has been in the tank about a month and nothing new has been added recently. I just noticed it today:

zoom.png

That's not a new trumpet head, but it does look like the tube of a vermetid snail, which are harmless. They shoot out a spider web looking thing to catch food from the water column, and sometimes the web can irritate corals if it forces them to stay closed. If that's the case, you can squirt some super glue gel on top of the tube to kill it. Vermetid snails are pretty common hitch hikers and are neat as long as they don't bug the corals.

I find those things all over the old "skeleton" part of my LPS corals and they never seem to be bothering them. I was thinking a sponge as well... that's been my theory for a while anyway.

Thanks everyone I think for now I'll just let it be I don't think it's bothering the coral any, that coral has been looking especially great the last couple of weeks which is why I thought (hoping really) that maybe it was starting to branch out.

Trumpets and candy canes split by adding another mouth to a current head, and then it will gradually pinch off into a new head. Am I wrong on that?

That's not a new trumpet head, but it does look like the tube of a vermetid snail, which are harmless. They shoot out a spider web looking thing to catch food from the water column, and sometimes the web can irritate corals if it forces them to stay closed. If that's the case, you can squirt some super glue gel on top of the tube to kill it. Vermetid snails are pretty common hitch hikers and are neat as long as they don't bug the corals.

You see? the wealth of info here is really appreciated! BTW, nice pics Bifferwine!

Back