Trumpet Coral

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Got a few question about this guy. How do you feed them? Do they need direct feeding or just drop food in? What's best to feed them? When? day or night? Also how far should you keep corals part? I like corals more then fishies. At least they survive.

target feeding isn't necassary. sometimes they will catch little bits of food when you feed you're fish. And doseing the tank with phyto/zoo plankton once a week will suffice.

Since you mentioned that phyto/zoo plankton how much do you feed? Also can this stuff pollute the water and cause algea? How do I know if it eats?

if you overfeed and feed too often it can fuel algae. the only plankton that I have ever used is the two little fishes sprayed dried kind. it comes with this tiny little spoon. and I dose one spoonful of each once a week.
it's hard to tell if it's eats. they have tiny little mouths. if you pay close attention you may be able to see it's little sweeper tentacles waving around when it want's to eat. they normally do this shortly before or after the lights go out for the night. therefore I normally dose about an hour before lights out.

you know they are eating if they live. Pretty standard with most corals. few corals need target feeding. Don't worry about it. they will pics up bits of food that swirl around the water column and that will suffice. THey are not a super hard coral to keep. Post us a pic so we can see how cool it looks.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Keep corals several inches apart to allow than to grow out.For the most part you don't want corals touching one another.I feed my trumpets once a week at night when the feeder tentacles are exposed.Is it necessary?.....maybe.maybe not but they look much fatter and more attractive when they get a meal of cyclopeeze.

funny. I don't look better when i am fat. you think my corals do?

Roti-Feast

This stuff does good for feeding corals.
I like to feed a mix of phytoplankton,rotis,zooplankton,and a few other things.

Piggy,If you'll look at your corals with a small flashlight after the lights out,you'll see the sweepers.They are there to sting other corals that get to close and catch food.
But with most corals,spot feeding is not required.

if you watch them at night you will notice feeding tentacles on each head. i feed mine mysis shrimp and they love it. i just drop a couple of shrimp on each head and the tentacles take it to the mouth.

You both said at night I would see feeding tentacles but I don't. I even looked at it with a red light. It looks the same way as when I bought it. My daughter says it's starting to sag whatever that means. I'll have to post a pic tomarrow because the gang is watching a movie on the big screen and lights will be out when finished.

You may not see the tentacles for a while.Some times mine will go 2 or 3 weeks with out extending its tentacles.
As long as its not bleaching and is opening up,its ok.

What do you mean by bleaching? Changeing color? If so it's the same color as when I bought it I do believe. Not sure what you mean by opening up either. This is all so new to me I have no idea. I'll post a pic tomarrow so you can see what it looks like.

here are what the feeding tentacles will look like ... you will know it when you see them. sorry for the bad pics but my lights are out.

trumpet.jpg

feedersout-1.jpg

feedersout.jpg

HTH

nice looking coral!!! I had one, once, but a Moorish Idol ate it, just before it got Oodinium and killed everything in my tank. Yup, you guessed it, I am still sore about that one.

thanks Dr Marco, those tentacles come out EVERY night about 20 minutes after the lights go out (and they get fed about every other night). they are growing like weeds, and today i noticed that ALL of my ricordea shrooms are dropping off little ones under the mothers. WOOO HOOOO !!

Back