Trying my luck again...

baddfish

scrubber fan!
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for six months or so now, and because I've started posting questions recently I thought I'd introduce myself.
I've listed that I have 5 yrs of saltwater experience, but yet I probably post some beginner-like questions...
This is because a little more than four of those years were back in the early 80's. I had a couple of tanks, the biggest a 55gal long which had fish, crabs and snails only. Back then they still used under-gravel filters, were just realizing the benefits of lots of live rock (which was ridiculously expensive then), and I don't remember doing a whole lot of testing. Just pantloads of water changes to keep things alive. Although I eventually got frustrated and gave everything away, when I look back I think I did pretty good for the amount of information that was out there. (Remember there was no internet to jump on when you had questions. I had a couple of reference books, and trusted (probably way too much) a local fish store.
As you all know, it can be devistating to have a cool fish for a long enough time to get attached to it, and then have it die and not know why.
It took me over 20 yrs to be enticed back into the hobby/torment of having a salt water aquarium (also a freshwater friend gave me a nice 80 gal glass tank about 8 months ago), but now that I'm back I'm remembering how fascinating it is.
Also being able to access sites like this helps, and makes you feel like you're not in it alone.
Hopefully I'll get a decent camera and post a few pictures soon (although its not really much to look at right now....some of the tanks people have here are absolutely beautiful, and a little intimidating).
Thanks to everyone here for all the information you've unknowingly given me during the last few months I've been reading, and may all our tanks thrive!

Welcome to the site. I have learned that you don't compare your tank to d2mini (Dennis). If you do you will feel just horrible about yours. :lol:

Welcome to the site! Do you plan on setting up a reef or FOWLR? if your thinking about a reef make sure you test for copper before start throwing coral in the tank and wonder "Why does everything keep dying?!?". Also, we LOOOOVE pictures. Some of us, like PRC, can't read very well. LOL

Welcome to the site! Do you plan on setting up a reef or FOWLR? if your thinking about a reef make sure you test for copper before start throwing coral in the tank and wonder "Why does everything keep dying?!?". Also, we LOOOOVE pictures. Some of us, like PRC, can't read very well. LOL

*snickers* Evan that was just mean.

Thanks everyone.
Right now the tank has been cycled for about 7 months. Its an 80gal display/30gal sump. I have space set aside in the sump for a protein skimmer, but not using one yet. After researching algae scrubbers, and luckily having just enough room left in the sump for a good sized one I decided to set the tank up with an ATS initially, monitor the water parameters closely and add the skimmer when I need it.
I have 2 false percula clowns, 2 bangai cardinals, 1 spotted cardinal, 1 yellow head sleeper goby. Also a few hermits, snails and 1 choc.chip starfish (which I probably should have never gotten).
I posted this am about the starfish because I am planning on corals ( I actually have three little patches of star polyps that are doing surprisingly well, and the starfish hasn't bothered them...yet).
Between the ATS and chaeto in the refuge, my nitrates and phosphates are always virtually zero, and although I don't even know if I need to I change about 10gal of water every couple of weeks to vaccuum up detrius patches.
That's about it...!

Things have changed glad to see you getting your feet wet again hope its better this go around, welcome to the reefs!

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. We were all scared at first and it may seem a lil' intimidating, but you'll catch on so quick...we're here to help each other. :)

Welcome to the site!

My Dad used to work in a SW Fish Store back in the 70's and 80's... and he said LOTS of things have changed... they didn't really have sumps back then... he came ove and was like "WTF is that?"

You'll find all your answers here!

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for six months or so now, and because I've started posting questions recently I thought I'd introduce myself.
I've listed that I have 5 yrs of saltwater experience, but yet I probably post some beginner-like questions...
This is because a little more than four of those years were back in the early 80's. I had a couple of tanks, the biggest a 55gal long which had fish, crabs and snails only. Back then they still used under-gravel filters, were just realizing the benefits of lots of live rock (which was ridiculously expensive then), and I don't remember doing a whole lot of testing. Just pantloads of water changes to keep things alive. Although I eventually got frustrated and gave everything away, when I look back I think I did pretty good for the amount of information that was out there. (Remember there was no internet to jump on when you had questions. I had a couple of reference books, and trusted (probably way too much) a local fish store.
As you all know, it can be devistating to have a cool fish for a long enough time to get attached to it, and then have it die and not know why.
It took me over 20 yrs to be enticed back into the hobby/torment of having a salt water aquarium (also a freshwater friend gave me a nice 80 gal glass tank about 8 months ago), but now that I'm back I'm remembering how fascinating it is.
Also being able to access sites like this helps, and makes you feel like you're not in it alone.
Hopefully I'll get a decent camera and post a few pictures soon (although its not really much to look at right now....some of the tanks people have here are absolutely beautiful, and a little intimidating).
Thanks to everyone here for all the information you've unknowingly given me during the last few months I've been reading, and may all our tanks thrive!
Welcome to the Internet.........Living Reefs! I can't wait til you get a tank thread going! Tank showcase threads are always my favorite to look at. I'm quite new to this forum and despite past experience in saltwater, I still consider myself a noob on reefing as well. Everyone on here is friendly and would be happy to assist you on your aqua ventures! We also have a cool chatroom that I cracked myself out on last night. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and don't be shy now! I lurked on this site for a while before I started posting as well. Have fun!

Welcome to the site I am new as well and have ZERO experience. I believe my tank is cycled and ready for critters but I am afraid to get anything yet because I am afraid I wont be able to get something else I want down the road.

UGH its SO much to take in its hard to know where to start.

Best of luck to you!!

Amber if you start a tank build thread and post your test results the people on here can tell you if you are through your cycle. If you are not, they can help you get there.

Back