Trying the impossible

Doc

I don't work for anybody
My luck could only go so far. I may have run into a personality snag that cannot be overcome with my tank.

I removed the blue ring angelfish a few weeks ago because I wanted to try another emperor, because I love them. No, really, I love them - all time three favorite fish, well top four favorite. They are (in no particular order) Emperor Angel, Blue Angel, Regal Tang, Sohal Tang. I decided to try the emperor when I ran into a Koran / Emperor combo in a show tank at a fish store about an hour from my home. They played nice together in the 500 gallon tank, along with a blue faced angel, puffer, moray eel, lunar wrasse and a few assorted jacks. I figured that if they could do it, so could I.

Well, as luck would have it (or not), I ordered my emperor (wow, so freakin' pretty - did I mention that?) and I am currently watching a wrestling match between the new emperor and the established Koran. I introduced him about 20 minutes ago and it has been a constant chase from the Koran. Nothing too aggressive, but the emperor has received a few nips in the butt and seems a bit stressed (as you can imagine). I will give it another half hour or so, but they may not become friends.

The reason I tried, even though they are both from the pomacanthus family is that the blue ring (who was the same size as the Koran) got along great. They schooled together and even shared a few romantic evening meals together, snuggled up by the fire.

Not so with these two. Hmpf, I hate it when I don't get my way. I guess these two species are too similar to be in a tank this small. I moved around the rocks before putting him in and I may try turning off the lights in a bit to see if that will quiet the Koran down. Why can't we all just get along??? If anyone else has other ideas about making these two be friends, let me know.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Cattle prod......that will put any fish in check! maybe you could you take out the Koran for a couple days? Let the Emperor get comfortable enough to defend itself. Introduce the two of them at night and leave the tank dark for the next day. Or you could pull the Emperor out and teach him some jui-jitsu.

Yeah, I thought of that, but I couldn't stand the sight of that emperor getting his a$$ kicked all over my tank. I took him back. I did get a nice vermiculated angelfish to make me feel better. No one seems to care about him. Such is life. I hate when I cannot conquer nature.

Just an after thought. :question: In case you may want to try again. Take out your Koran (put her into your Hospital tank or refugiam, not sure of your filtration) If you have this chance then wait oh 2-3 weeks then add them both together, with lights off. This will work almost everytime.

Good luck next time. :D

If only I had your infinite wisdom beforehand. Not a bad idea. I may give that a shot if th emperor makes it - my LFS still has it and technically, it is still mine. I may have him hold my Koran for a few weeks as well in his tank and then put them both in. Great idea, worth a shot. Thanks again.

Back