Trying to build new 46G Reef.

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
After jumping back and forth between ideas on whether to do FOWLR or FO or a reef in my 46 bow front...I think i've decided to go with a reef. Nothing crazy or fancy for a while...but a start at least. I want to do a sumpless tank but I know it's gonna be a pain...just don't have room for a sump right now.

-Recommendations for HOB Skimmer?
-Recommendations for Lighting? (How's the Nova Extreme T5HO 4X39?)
-Not looking for any crazy fancy corals or anything...kind of giving up on an anemone as well....unless I get one of the HQI/T5 combo fixtures.

I have a 46 gallon reef, and when I first set it up, I had everything HOB as well. I used an Octopus BH-2000 Skimmer, a modded Aquaclear 110 as an HOB Refugium to grow chaeto and pods in, and I ran a HOB Marineland Penguin Filter with carbon to keep the water nice. A couple of months ago, I built a sump and refugium under the aquarium, but I had no complaints about running everything HOB (except that the back of the tank looks cluttered). The Octopus HOB skimmer worked fabulously, as did the modded Aquaclear and Penguin. I ran (and still run) the Current Sundial T5 Canopy which seems to be basically the same as the Nova that your are looking at; they have the same wattage, the only differences I see is that the Sundial includes lunar lights, lacks individual reflectors, and I think the Sundial may include an additional fan). I think that Nova would be a fine light. With my Sundial I have all types of corals: softies, LPS, and SPS; I think with the Nova you would be able to do the same. I'm now considering upgrading my lights to the Nova Extreme Pro (just to add a little more wattage to the tank - but it's not necessary - the Sundial has been perfect). Good luck!

You can still have a really nice reef tank without a sump. I'd recommend the Current Nova Extreme Pro lights over the regular Extremes. They have two extra bulbs and individual reflectors, as Samantha mentioned.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know =]
Quick question...although the current nova extreme pro isn't the most expensive light in the world, i'd guestimate this to be around mid-priced (36''), are there any cheaper lights anyone recommends? i'm ready to drop ~$180 for the Octopus though.

Last edited:
As long as you know the limitation of the Nova Extremes then it is a good fixture.Good for soft and LPS corals,maybe a derasa clam.I say no to all other clams,SPS corals and anemones.

The only good HOB skimmer I know of are the Octopus skimmers.

Fish Need It lights are great. Although I haven't used the two you linked to, I did run their 70 watt MH pendant over my 10 gallon tank. You wouldn't really need a hood for them, they look pretty snazzy hanging. But if that's a project you want to undertake, then by all means go for it.

Hm, would I be alright in the 46 using the 150W halide? I'm not looking for anything fancy, so far all I know i'll definitely want are pulsing xenias, zoas, and maybe hammers.
Would the 250W be enough for an anemone?

Thanks.

You could keep a nem even with the Nova Extreme Pros. Remember, there is a difference between Nova Extremes (which reeffreak was referring to) and the Pros. But you could definitely keep a nem under a 250 watt halide.

I've narrowed it down to either of these two from FNI.com
(I'd love either of the Novas but I really can't drop ~$300 just on lighting right now...gotta buy the Octo HOB skimmer too heh.)

Either the MH's i linked above. (Most likely the 170--save a few bucks.)
or T5's
3Ft/4Bulbs fixture

My main concern is really cooling for the MH because I know my room heats up pretty quickly (still looking for an AC unit lol)

Really,if you went with the MH fixture,you would need two 150 watters.One wouldn't be enough to spread light the whole 36'' length of that size aquarium.The link for the T5 will be basically the same as the Current Extremes minus the moonlights.

Back